Where Can I Find More Challenging Integrals for My Competition?

In summary, a person is looking for challenging integrals and has already explored various resources such as textbooks and online forums. They are interested in finding more challenging integrals and have received suggestions for books, YouTube channels, and other resources. They also mention the Feynman method and a website dedicated to Richard Feynman's teaching methods.
Mondayman
Hi folks,

I love doing integrals, and I think I'm going to start a competition at my school. The integrals in the standard calculus textbooks I have access to, Briggs, Stewart, etc., are pretty elementary. I am looking for some harder integrals. I have the books Irresistible Integrals and Inside Interesting Integrals already, and I've found some good ones browsing through this forum and online. I was thinking maybe older textbooks would a good place to look. I was wondering if anyone has worked through any that they found hard, or if anyone knows where I can find some harder integrals?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could look into our Challenge thread (filter "Challenge" in the General Math forum). There are quite a few integral questions.

There’s a Schaums Outlines with many worked and not worked examples for Calculus that you could use. They also have a Handbook Of Math Formulas with many challenging but no method on how to solve them. People look up the integral they have and do the substitutions to get the answer.

There’s a YouTube channel called BlackPenRedPen that shows an integral and then solves it. They are usually somewhat unusual integrals too.

fresh_42 said:
You could look into our Challenge thread (filter "Challenge" in the General Math forum). There are quite a few integral questions.

Thank you, there are some pretty hard ones on here.

jedishrfu said:
There’s a Schaums Outlines with many worked and not worked examples for Calculus that you could use. They also have a Handbook Of Math Formulas with many challenging but no method on how to solve them. People look up the integral they have and do the substitutions to get the answer.

There’s a YouTube channel called BlackPenRedPen that shows an integral and then solves it. They are usually somewhat unusual integrals too.

I never thought to pull them out of a handbook and work it out, that's a fantastic idea.

ibkev said:

I have this book already, its what got me interested in solving tricky integrals.

I appreciate the replies, its been helpful.

Also you should collect together the various recipes people have used to solve more intractable ones.

Theres a youtuber blackpenredpen who solves many kinds of integrals using a variety of tricks.

Parametric differentiation was one such trick that I never learned and was amazed that you could even do it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_derivative

Last edited:
The Feynman method?

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Where Can I Find More Challenging Integrals for My Competition?

1. What are challenging integrals?

Challenging integrals are mathematical expressions that involve complex functions or variables that cannot be easily solved using standard integration techniques.

2. What is the source of challenging integrals?

The source of challenging integrals can vary, but they often arise in real-world problems that involve physical or natural phenomena, as well as in theoretical mathematics and physics.

3. How are challenging integrals solved?

Challenging integrals can be solved using a variety of techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using special functions like the Gamma or Beta functions. Sometimes, numerical methods are also used to approximate the solution.

4. Why are challenging integrals important?

Challenging integrals are important because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, and they also help us develop new mathematical techniques and theories.

5. What are some examples of challenging integrals?

Examples of challenging integrals include integrals involving trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions, as well as integrals with multiple variables or complex boundaries. Some famous examples include the Gaussian integral and the Fresnel integral.