Ellipse and Kepler's Law in Polar Coordinates

by Septim
Tags: ellipse, kepler, polar
Share this thread:
Septim
Apr13-12, 04:02 PM
P: 121
Greetings everyone,

I am having difficulties grasping the polar form of the ellipse equation, and there seems to be more than one way to express an ellipse in this form, if I am not mistaken. For example on the following webpage http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...s/node155.html the ellipse is represented in a different way than I am accustomed. How can I convert this into other forms?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
haruspex
Apr14-12, 02:12 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
One option with the equation for an ellipse is whether to set the origin at a focus or at the centre. The link you provided gives the polar equation with a focus as origin. Do you have another link for contrast?
Septim
Apr14-12, 12:07 PM
P: 121
I do not have at the moment, I remember coming across one a year ago in a text I read. Do you have any site that I can learn conics and their equations in polar coordinates ?

haruspex
Apr14-12, 06:08 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
Ellipse and Kepler's Law in Polar Coordinates

Consider a string length 2L with endpoints fixed at (-A, 0), (+A, 0) (X-Y co-ords).
With polar co-ordinates at the same origin, I get
r2(L2-A2.cos2(θ)) = L2(L2-A2)
Does that look familiar?
Converting back to X-Y:
(x2+y2)L2 - x2.A2 = L2(L2-A2)
or
x2/L2 + y2/(L2-A2) = 1
Which does indeed appear to be an ellipse centred at the origin.

Register to reply