Which version of the Kepler Problem is correct?

• I
  • Thread starter Will Flannery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kepler
In summary, the Kepler problem involves determining the coordinates of an object in a Keplerian orbit around the Sun as a function of time. There are two solutions, one with r and θ as a function of time and the other with 1/r as a function of θ. The latter solution has been accepted due to its convenience in obtaining a differential equation. However, both solutions are correct and their usefulness depends on the specific needs of the problem.
Will Flannery
TL;DR Summary
Two versions of the solution exist, r and θ as a function of time, and 1/r as a function of θ. Which one is correct?
On one hand:
wiki - Kepler Problem - There doesn't seem to be a clear statement of what the problem is. There is a section on the solution which is given as a function u(θ) where u = 1/r.

In Classical Dynamics, Thornton, et. al., the section on Planetary motion - Kepler's Problem - "The equation for the path of a particle moving under the influence of a central force ... ", followed by a derivation of u(θ) where u = 1/r (eq 8.41)

On the other hand:
In R. Fitzpatrick's Kepler Problem we read "In a nutshell, the so-called Kepler problem consists of determining the radial and angular coordinates, r and θ, respectively, of an object in a Keplerian orbit about the Sun as a function of time." Kepler's equation is derived, and a numerical method is given for solving it.

From On Newton's Solution to Kepler's Problem - The Monthly Notes of the Royal Astronomical Society (1882) - "The equation to be solved by successive approximation is x - e sin x = z where e is the eccentricity, z is the known mean anomaly, and x is the eccentric anomaly to be determined." The mean anomaly plays the role of time, and the eccentric anomaly plays the role of position.

https://ocw.aprende.org/courses/physics/8-01sc-physics-i-classical-mechanics-fall-2010/central-force-motion/central-force-motion-and-the-kepler-problem/MIT8_01SC_coursenotes28.pdf- "Since Johannes Kepler first formulated the laws that describe planetary motion, scientists endeavored to solve for the equation of motion of the planets. In his honor, this problem has been named The Kepler Problem." **However, the solution derived is u(θ) and I don't see any derivation of r and θ as a function of time in the entire module.

wiki - Equations of motion - "In physics, equations of motion are equations that describe the behavior of a physical system in terms of its motion as a function of time."

I'm sure that Fitzpatrick's and the Royal Society's, r and θ as a function of time, is correct, but I'm wondering how the alternate solution, 1/r as a function of θ, came into acceptance.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What if you did a parametric polar plot of r using the Fitzpatrick equation and a second polar plot using the Kepler equation. If the two give the same orbit, then both are correct.

Likes Delta2 and Vanadium 50
Well, I think finding the solution of u(Θ) is the easiest part of the problem, but only solves part of the problem. It gives you the shape of the orbit, but doesn't give you a way to determine where the planet is along the orbit as a function of time. You need this in order to truly solve the Kepler problem.

Likes vanhees71, Delta2, sophiecentaur and 1 other person

Both solutions are "correct". Particular needs determine which form is better.
If you wish to draw the path then ##r(\theta)## is probably most useful. If you need to know times of events then the parameterization in terms of t is required
I don't see why a global value judgement is either important or interesting.

Likes Delta2
Will Flannery said:
Summary:: Two versions of the solution exist, r and θ as a function of time, and 1/r as a function of θ. Which one is correct?

[snip]

I'm sure that Fitzpatrick's and the Royal Society's, r and θ as a function of time, is correct, but I'm wondering how the alternate solution, 1/r as a function of θ, came into acceptance.

Note that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler_problem# and other [itex]u=\displaystyle\frac{1}{r}[/itex] approaches obtain a convenient differential equation whose solution is
$$u \equiv \frac{1}{r} = -\frac{km}{L^2} (1+e\cos(\theta-\theta_0))$$

You can see the same type of equation as (254) in http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/lectures/node40.html

Likes vanhees71, hutchphd and Delta2

1. What is the Kepler Problem?

The Kepler Problem is a mathematical model that describes the motion of two bodies in space, such as a planet and its orbiting star. It was first introduced by Johannes Kepler in the 17th century and has been studied extensively by scientists to understand the dynamics of celestial bodies.

2. How many versions of the Kepler Problem are there?

There are two main versions of the Kepler Problem - the classical version and the relativistic version. The classical version assumes that the bodies are moving in a vacuum with no external forces, while the relativistic version takes into account the effects of gravity and other forces.

3. Which version of the Kepler Problem is correct?

Both versions of the Kepler Problem are correct in their respective contexts. The classical version is accurate for most celestial bodies in our solar system, while the relativistic version is necessary for more precise calculations and when dealing with extreme conditions, such as near black holes.

4. How do scientists determine which version of the Kepler Problem to use?

Scientists determine which version of the Kepler Problem to use based on the specific scenario they are studying. For example, if they are studying the motion of planets in our solar system, the classical version may be sufficient. However, if they are studying the motion of stars near a black hole, the relativistic version would be necessary.

5. Are there any ongoing debates about which version of the Kepler Problem is correct?

There are ongoing debates and discussions among scientists about which version of the Kepler Problem is more accurate and applicable in different scenarios. However, both versions have been extensively studied and are widely accepted in the scientific community.