How do you Calculate shear stress?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of shear stress in a cantilevered beam, with the speaker seeking assistance in determining the appropriate method. Suggestions include using FEA tools and measuring the contact area of the object. The importance of understanding the relationship between bending moment and shear stress is also emphasized.
WetFork
So i have a stub axle shaft, I have determined maximum bending stress at several locations and the bending moments, my question is how do you calculate shear stress in a cantilevered beam?
I assumed the shear would be longitudinal along the shaft.
Thanks for any assistance given.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Differentiate the bending moment to obtain the shear stress.

Maybe you can use some FEA tools, e.g.PROE

Measure the area of the side of the object that is in contact with the object applying force in meters. For example, if your objects are two boxes sliding past one another, measure the area of the side of the box. To find the area, measure the length and width of the side of the object with your ruler and then multiply these two values together.This will be your "A" in the shear stress equation.

Do you know the relation between bending moment and shear stress? If not, check your textbook. It is vitally important for you to know this.

1. What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a type of stress that occurs when two layers of a material or fluid slide against each other in opposite directions.

2. How is shear stress calculated?

Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface by the area of the surface. This is represented by the equation: τ = F/A, where τ is the shear stress, F is the force, and A is the area.

3. What units is shear stress measured in?

Shear stress is typically measured in units of force per area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

4. What are the factors that affect shear stress?

The factors that affect shear stress include the force applied, the area of the surface, the type of material, and the velocity or rate at which the layers are sliding against each other.

5. What is shear strain and how is it related to shear stress?

Shear strain is the deformation or change in shape that occurs when a material is subjected to shear stress. The greater the shear stress applied, the greater the shear strain will be.