Register to reply

How do you Calculate shear stress?

by WetFork
Tags: shear, stress
Share this thread:
WetFork
Apr15-12, 04:03 PM
P: 6
So i have a stub axle shaft, I have determined maximum bending stress at several locations and the bending moments, my question is how do you calculate shear stress in a cantilevered beam?
I assumed the shear would be longitudinal along the shaft.
Thanks for any assistance given.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Creative adaptation of a quadcopter
Filling up could cost less thanks to biomolecular engineering breakthrough
Tesla says decision on battery factory months away
OldEngr63
Apr15-12, 07:19 PM
P: 343
Differentiate the bending moment to obtain the shear stress.
wayne wang
Apr19-12, 10:05 PM
P: 1
Maybe you can use some FEA tools, e.g.PROE

ameliewakelin
Apr19-12, 11:56 PM
P: 3
How do you Calculate shear stress?

Measure the area of the side of the object that is in contact with the object applying force in meters. For example, if your objects are two boxes sliding past one another, measure the area of the side of the box. To find the area, measure the length and width of the side of the object with your ruler and then multiply these two values together.This will be your "A" in the shear stress equation.
OldEngr63
Apr20-12, 10:18 AM
P: 343
Do you know the relation between bending moment and shear stress? If not, check your textbook. It is vitally important for you to know this.

Register to reply