Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State?

In summary, the conversation discusses clarifications on determining the maximum shear stress in a 3D stress state, and suggests using resources such as alumni associations and LinkedIn to connect with others. The equation for determining max shear stress is (max principle stress - min principle stress)/2 and there is also mention of determining shear and normal stress on a plane of arbitrary orientation with given magnitudes of principal stresses.
xJJx
Hi, there's no particular question I need help on - just a few things I need clarifying. To determine the max shear stress, I know max shear stress = (max normal stress - min normal stress)/2, but are these equations true for a 3D stress state? (please look at attached image)
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 383
Engineering news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
Okay. That gives some perspective. How about your alumni association - see if there are any local chapters operating in Canada. Maybe you can connect with some people through LinkedIn. I'm just kicking some ideas around.
loool huh

xJJx said:
Hi, there's no particular question I need help on - just a few things I need clarifying. To determine the max shear stress, I know max shear stress = (max normal stress - min normal stress)/2, but are these equations true for a 3D stress state? (please look at attached image)
Thank you
Do you mean the difference between the maximum and minimum normal stress, or the difference between the maximum and minimum principal stress?

xJJx said:
loool huh
Whoops, I thought I was posting on another thread

scottdave said:
Whoops, I thought I was posting on another thread
haha, it's okay

Chestermiller said:
Do you mean the difference between the maximum and minimum normal stress, or the difference between the maximum and minimum principal stress?
The equation to determine max shear stress is: (max principle stress - min principle stress)/2

OK. Do you know how to determine the shear stress and normal stress on a plane of arbitrary orientation, given the magnitudes of the three principal stresses and assuming that they are aligned with the x, y, and z Cartesian coordinate directions?

What is Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State?

Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State refers to the maximum amount of shear stress that a material experiences when subjected to a three-dimensional stress state, where stresses act in multiple directions. It is an important factor in determining the strength and failure of materials.

How is Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State calculated?

Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State can be calculated using the Mohr's Circle method, which involves plotting the normal and shear stresses on a graph and finding the maximum shear stress at a particular point. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations, depending on the specific stress state.

What factors affect Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State?

Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State is affected by various factors such as the geometry and shape of the material, the applied forces, and the material's properties such as strength and ductility. It can also be influenced by temperature, strain rate, and other environmental conditions.

Why is Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State important in materials testing?

Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State is important in materials testing because it helps determine the maximum load that a material can withstand before failure. It also provides insights into the material's behavior under different stress states and can be used to design and test materials for specific applications.

How is Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State used in engineering applications?

Max Shear Stress in 3D Stress State is used in various engineering applications, such as designing structural components, analyzing the stability of structures, and predicting failure in materials. It is also used in mechanical and civil engineering to determine the strength and safety of different materials and structures under different stress conditions.