Calculating Gear and Gearbox Torque

In summary, to calculate gear torque for gears and engineering gearboxes like worm reduction gearbox and helical gearbox, you will need to determine your input torque and multiply it by the reduction ratio. Additionally, there may be a loss of torque due to mechanics, so it is recommended to factor in a 10% loss for safety. The formula for torque is torque = radius * force, so if you have an input torque of 10Nm at 10 RPM and an output gear with twice the radius, your torque will double and your speed will halve, resulting in 20Nm of torque and 5 RPM.
yew105
Somebody tell me how to calculate gear torque for gears and also for engineering gearbox like worm reduction gearbox and helical gearbox. Any software or hand book is available to find out gear torque and gearbox torque ?

Please help me.

Thanks

Satish Patel

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on your input torque. If you have a motor diving your gear, look up the torque coming out of the motor (or calculate it) and then multiply that torque by the reduction ratio. Also, you will lose torque just by the nature of the mechanics. You could factor in a loss of 10% to be safe.

Otherwise, torque for a gear is

τ = r * F
torque = radius * Force

If you have a input of 10Nm of torque at 10 RPM, and your output gear has twice the radius of the input gear, your Torque will double and your speed will halve. You will end up with 20Nm of torque and 5 RPM.

1. How do I calculate gear ratio?

To calculate gear ratio, divide the number of teeth on the driven gear (the gear that receives power) by the number of teeth on the driving gear (the gear that transmits power). For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio would be 20/10 or 2:1.

2. What is the formula for calculating torque in a gear?

The formula for calculating torque in a gear is torque = force x radius, where the force is the input force on the gear and the radius is the distance from the center of the gear to the point where the force is applied.

3. How do I calculate gear torque in a gearbox?

To calculate gear torque in a gearbox, multiply the torque of the driving gear by the gear ratio. This will give you the torque output of the driven gear. For example, if the driving gear has a torque of 50 Nm and the gear ratio is 2:1, the driven gear will have a torque output of 100 Nm.

4. What is the difference between gear torque and gearbox torque?

Gear torque refers to the amount of force applied to a single gear, while gearbox torque refers to the combined torque output of all the gears in a gearbox. Gear torque is dependent on the number of teeth on a gear and the force applied, while gearbox torque takes into account the gear ratio and the input torque of the driving gear.

5. How do I use gear and gearbox torque calculations in real-world applications?

Gear and gearbox torque calculations are important for designing and selecting the right gears and gearboxes for various applications. They are also used in determining the power and speed requirements for different machines and systems. In industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and robotics, accurate torque calculations are crucial for efficient and safe operation of machinery.