Calculation torque of a drive at the torque arm

durwoodb
TL;DR Summary
torque calculation
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for any help in determining what the estimated torque would be on our mixer. If you know of someone that can help with this please let me know and maybe forward this to them. We are looking for a device (strain gauge) that can display this and we will need to know estimated torque at the turnbuckle in order to spec this out. Any suggestions on a device for this would be appreciated.

3PH/ 60 hz./ 480vac 60 HP Motor (177ft/lb torque)

25:1 reduction with gearbox

2:1 reduction with sheaves

I'm looking for the torque at the turnbuckle which Is 23"R from the driven shaft.

Let me know if they need any additional information.

This is over my head.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Isn't a turnbuckle used for applying tension? It takes torque to turn the turnbuckle to apply the tension, but once it is set there is no torque to measure. You can just use a torque wrench to measure the torque applied to the turnbuckle while tensioning it.

1695655078327.png

https://hartru.com/products/turnbuckle

C'mon @berkeman , don't you know we are all mind readers here? Lol. I'm assuming there is a turn buckle involved with positioning parts of a drive system and the amount of torque on something is reflected by the tension of a turnbuckle somewhere. Seriously it cannot be expected to solve any part of this with the information given

Likes berkeman
To the OP: These experienced people (note their post counts) are trying to tell you that we really need a sketch of the system. A hand sketch is good enough - just scan or photograph it, then use Attach files to attach it to your next post. A photo of the mixer would also help.

We also need to know if you want the force on something, or the torque at a particular location. If the terms force and torque are confusing, search those terms. We can then help clarify any confusion with what you find.

We can solve the problem.

Is this machine like a rotating drum concrete mixer?
What is the RPM of the 3PH motor?
Would a tension measuring strain gauge be in line with the turnbuckle?

Rather than using a strain gauge, you might estimate the torque on the mixer, by simply monitoring the current to the 3PH motor. That might be done with a clamp meter.
Another similar way would be to measure the phase slip, or the load dependent speed reduction, of the 3PH motor under load.

Baluncore said:
Rather than using a strain gauge, you might estimate the torque on the mixer, by simply monitoring the current to the 3PH motor.
As a cement mixer operates, half of the drum is raising the mix. Wouldn't the torque needed to raise this weight show as an unbalanced load on the base. The unbalance could me measured and the radius of the drum (suitable modification) would give the torque.

1. What is torque and why is it important in drive calculations?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, or the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate. In drive calculations, torque is important because it determines the amount of force required to move a load and the amount of power needed to maintain a certain speed.

2. How is torque calculated for a drive at the torque arm?

To calculate torque for a drive at the torque arm, you will need to know the distance from the center of the drive to the point where the force is applied (torque arm length) and the amount of force being applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x torque arm length. This will give you the torque in units of newton-meters (Nm).

3. What factors can affect the calculation of torque for a drive at the torque arm?

There are several factors that can affect the calculation of torque for a drive at the torque arm. These include the type and size of the drive, the weight and distribution of the load, and any external forces acting on the drive system. Friction and other mechanical losses should also be taken into account.

4. How can torque be optimized in drive calculations?

To optimize torque in drive calculations, you can adjust the gear ratio, motor speed, and motor size to match the specific requirements of your application. It is also important to minimize any external forces that may be acting on the drive system, as these can reduce the overall torque output.

5. What are some common units of measurement for torque in drive calculations?

The most commonly used units of measurement for torque in drive calculations are newton-meters (Nm) and pound-feet (lb-ft). However, other units such as kilogram-meters (kg-m) and inch-pounds (in-lb) may also be used, depending on the specific application and industry standards.