Register to reply

Derivative of kinectic energy , dK/dv

by c77793
Tags: derivative, dk or dv, energy, kinectic
Share this thread:
c77793
Apr24-12, 07:18 PM
P: 10
i'm in my freshman year and i'm starting to learn Derivatives in Calculus, and I was wondering, once Ek (kinectic energy) = 1/2mv², then, the derivative of Ek in term of velocity would be mv, which is equal to the linear momentum..... I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way? I was just playing around deriving physics formulas haha
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
tiny-tim
Apr25-12, 04:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
hi c77793!
Quote Quote by c77793 View Post
I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way?
it's because of Newtonian Relativity
the (Newtonian) laws of physics are the same in any inertial frame
suppose you have bodies with ∑miui2 = ∑mivi2 in one frame

now choose another frame with relative velocity w in the k-direction …
∑mi(ui - wk).(ui - wk) = ∑mi(vi - wk).(vi - wk)
cancelling (and dividing by 2) gives us …
w∑miui.k = w∑mivi.k
since w is arbitrary, we can divide by w, and get conservation of momentum in in the k direction

however, instead of cancelling, we could have differentiated wrt w (in other words, exploiting the translational symmetry of Newtonian space), giving …
w∑mi(ui - wk).k = w∑mi(vi - wk).k
(and then cancelled, giving the same result)

(btw, this also works with Einsteinian energy and momentum, in Minkowski space)
yoelhalb
Apr25-12, 10:40 AM
P: 69
Quote Quote by c77793 View Post
i'm in my freshman year and i'm starting to learn Derivatives in Calculus, and I was wondering, once Ek (kinectic energy) = 1/2mv², then, the derivative of Ek in term of velocity would be mv, which is equal to the linear momentum..... I'm finding hard to understand the idea that the variation of Kinect over a variable velocity is the linear momentum...can someone explain me this in a didactic way? I was just playing around deriving physics formulas haha
Well I was also wondering about that and I can't still find the physical relationship between the two, however both are related to force (since force is the derivative of momentum and work is (force)(distance)).
The complete derivation you can find in this thread http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68682

Register to reply