Deriving the kinetic energy equation?

In summary, the conversation discussed the steps for deriving the kinetic energy formula using calculus, including rewriting work as an integral, factoring out mass, and integrating over change in velocity. The question posed was about step 4, where the "dv" and "dr" terms were switched. The experts explained that this was possible because of the commutative property of dot products and provided a formal approach to understanding the concept.
EchoRush
Hello, I just have a quick question on deriving the kinetic energy formula using calculus. I understand most of it, I just have a question about one of the steps. here are the steps.

• Begin with the Work-Energy Theorem.The work that is done on an object is related to the change in its kinetic energy.
    • \Delta K=W
  • Rewrite work as an integral.The end goal is to rewrite the integral in terms of a velocity differential.
    \Delta K=\int {\mathbf  {F}}\cdot {\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {r}}
  • Rewrite force in terms of velocity.Note that mass is a scalar and can therefore be factored out.
    {\begin{aligned}\Delta K&=\int m{\mathbf  {a}}\cdot {\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {r}}\\&=m\int {\frac  {{\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {v}}}{{\mathrm  {d}}t}}\cdot {\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {r}}\end{aligned}}
  • Rewrite the integral in terms of a velocity differential.Here, it is trivial, because dot products commute. Recall the definition of velocity as well.
    {\begin{aligned}\Delta K&=m\int {\frac  {{\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {r}}}{{\mathrm  {d}}t}}\cdot {\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {v}}\\&=m\int {\mathbf  {v}}\cdot {\mathrm  {d}}{\mathbf  {v}}\end{aligned}}

• Integrate over change in velocity. Typically, initial velocity is set to 0.
    {\begin{aligned}\Delta K&={\frac  {1}{2}}mv^{{2}}-{\frac  {1}{2}}mv_{{0}}^{{2}}\\&={\frac  {1}{2}}mv^{{2}}\end{aligned}}

My question is about step number 4. Why were we just able to flip the "dv" and the "dr" like that? What do they mean when they say "dot products commute"? Why can we just switch around the 'dv" and the "dr"?

Physics news on Phys.org
EchoRush said:
My question is about step number 4. Why were we just able to flip the "dv" and the "dr" like that? What do they mean when they say "dot products commute"? Why can we just switch around the 'dv" and the "dr"?

One way to look at it is to start with a small but finite increment:

##\Delta \vec r \approx \vec v \Delta t##

## \Delta \vec v \cdot \Delta \vec r \approx (\Delta \vec v \cdot \vec v) \Delta t ##

## \frac{\Delta \vec v}{\Delta t} \cdot \Delta \vec r \approx \Delta \vec v \cdot \vec v##

And, in the limit we have:

## \frac{d \vec v}{dt} \cdot d \vec r = \vec v \cdot d\vec v##

• Informative
Likes Dale
EchoRush said:

Here's a slighty more formal approach. We parametrise the path ##\vec r(t)## by time (*). I.e. we define the path as a function of time. This gives ##d \vec r = \frac{d \vec r}{dt} dt = \vec v dt##, hence:

##\int_{r_0}^{r_1} \frac{d \vec v}{dt} \cdot d \vec r = \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \frac{d \vec v}{dt} \cdot \vec v dt = \frac 1 2 \int_{t_0}^{t_1} \frac{d}{dt}(v^2) dt = \frac 1 2 (v^2(t_1) - v^2(t_0))##

(*) Note that a parameterisation of some sort is actually the definition of a line integral That's how you define what is meant by a line integral in the first place.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Dale

1. What is the kinetic energy equation?

The kinetic energy equation is a mathematical representation of the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is given by the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. How is the kinetic energy equation derived?

The kinetic energy equation can be derived using the principles of work and energy. It involves integrating the work done by a constant force over a distance to determine the change in kinetic energy of an object.

3. What is the significance of the 1/2 in the kinetic energy equation?

The 1/2 in the kinetic energy equation is a result of the integration process and represents the average value of the velocity squared over the distance traveled. It is a constant factor that ensures the equation has the correct units of energy (Joules).

4. Can the kinetic energy equation be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the kinetic energy equation can be applied to all types of motion, as long as the object has mass and is in motion. It is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics and is applicable to both linear and rotational motion.

5. How does the kinetic energy equation relate to other equations in physics?

The kinetic energy equation is closely related to other equations in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the work-energy theorem. It can also be used in conjunction with other equations, such as the conservation of energy, to solve problems involving motion and energy.