Register to reply

Planets around red dwarfs

by phyzguy
Tags: dwarfs, planets
Share this thread:
phyzguy
Apr28-12, 02:43 PM
P: 2,179
This link got me thinking. Has anyone else read Trader to the Stars by Poul Anderson? He describes an alien ecosystem around a red dwarf star where the life has adapted to the frequent solar flares and everything has learned to take cover when the flares come. Somebody was thinking ahead!
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Young binary star system may form planets with weird and wild orbits
Evidence of a local hot bubble carved by a supernova
Astronomers measure weight of galaxies, expansion of universe
Radrook
May3-12, 09:40 PM
P: 334
All sci fi writers think ahead by studying current scientific trends and theories and extrapolating to the near or far future. Andersen is really no exception.
qraal
May4-12, 04:51 AM
P: 775
Quote Quote by Radrook View Post
All sci fi writers think ahead by studying current scientific trends and theories and extrapolating to the near or far future. Andersen is really no exception.
Anderson generally took his world-building seriously and tried to get the physically relevant facts right.

Radrook
May5-12, 09:33 PM
P: 334
Planets around red dwarfs

Quote Quote by qraal View Post
Anderson generally took his world-building seriously and tried to get the physically relevant facts right.
All hard sci fi writers do that my friend. I have read Anderson mind you. Had an anthology of his short stories where he also delved into soft sci fi and fantasy and where the whimsical of the imagination predominated. I can provide the titles of his soft sci fi stories mixed with fantasy that he wrote if you wish. Started one of his novels but could not tolerate his rapid-fire introduction of wild-looking exotic creatures with difficult-to-remember names so I discarded it. Neither did I find his fantasies which mixed aliens with space-faring knights very convincing.

Here is an example:

Three Hearts and Three Lions
It is also a 1953 novella by Poul Anderson which appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_H...nd_Three_Lions

Register to reply