If humamoids lived around a flare red dwarf, would the flare kill them?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    red dwarf
In summary, red dwarf flares are survivable in the short term but can have long-term effects on habitability due to atmosphere erosion. However, if intelligent life were to evolve and thrive in such a system, it would likely have adapted to protect against solar flares. This idea can be tested by studying Jupiter's moon Europa, which may have similar conditions to a red dwarf system.
swampwiz
I was reading about how red dwarf stars are typically flare stars. So if there were humanoids that were like us on an Earth-like planet in a such red dwarf system - i.e., and were accustomed to the temperature of Earth, etc. - would the flare heat up the planet to be too hot for life? Alternatively, this question could be stated "if the Earth were somehow hyperspaced into an orbit around such a red dwarf system such that it had the same temperature as Earth has around Sol, would the flares cause the temperature to spike enough to kill us".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
swampwiz said:
I was reading about how red dwarf stars are typically flare stars. So if there were humanoids that were like us on an Earth-like planet in a such red dwarf system - i.e., and were accustomed to the temperature of Earth, etc. - would the flare heat up the planet to be too hot for life? Alternatively, this question could be stated "if the Earth were somehow hyperspaced into an orbit around such a red dwarf system such that it had the same temperature as Earth has around Sol, would the flares cause the temperature to spike enough to kill us".
Basically, red dwarf flares are survivable in short term. X-ray flare fluxes are deadly outside of atmosphere, but are effectively blocked before reaching surface.
The habitability concerns are are mostly about long-term effect - i.e. atmosphere erosion. Planets orbiting flare stars (most notably potentially habitable planets in Teegarten system) may lose even dense atmospheres on the timescales of less than billion years, because of impulse heating of upper layers by repeating flares.

We can discuss the effect on humans, which are real, but not on "humanoids" which are fictional,

Vanadium 50 said:
We can discuss the effect on humans, which are real, but not on "humanoids" which are fictional,
Well, by "humanoid" I meant some creature that is accustomed to conditions on Earth, had the sam elevel of corporeal robustness, and that had the intelligence to do things to mitigate the situation. For all intents & purposes, these humanoids could be considered humans.

I should say that I believe that "we are not alone".

swampwiz said:
I should say that I believe that "we are not alone".
This implies that life evolved on this hypothetical system including:
swampwiz said:
Well, by "humanoid" I meant some creature that is accustomed to conditions on Earth, had the same level of corporeal robustness, and that had the intelligence to do things to mitigate the situation. For all intents & purposes, these humanoids could be considered humans. [edit: corrected typo]
If intelligent life evolved and thrived under a variable star; such organisms, ipso facto, would be adapted to local conditions with appropriate protections from solar flares such as developing under atmosphere, underground, underwater, etc.

While this thread of reasoning approaches speculation, we humans should be able to test an analogue system in a reasonable length of time by conducting experiments substituting Jupiter for the red dwarf star and sampling plumes from Europa and similar satellites to detect life.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/moons/jupiter-moons/europa/in-depth/#potential_for_life_otp

1. Would the flare from a red dwarf star be deadly to humanoid life?

It is possible that the flare from a red dwarf star could be deadly to humanoid life. Red dwarf stars are known for their frequent and intense flares, which release high levels of radiation and can significantly impact the habitability of nearby planets.

2. How close could a humanoid live to a red dwarf star without being affected by the flares?

The exact distance that a humanoid could live from a red dwarf star without being affected by the flares would depend on several factors, including the strength and frequency of the flares, the composition of the planet's atmosphere, and the protective measures in place. However, in general, it is believed that a safe distance would be at least 10 times the star's radius.

3. Would a humanoid species evolve to withstand the flares from a red dwarf star?

It is possible that a humanoid species could evolve to withstand the flares from a red dwarf star. Some organisms on Earth have evolved to withstand high levels of radiation, so it is not impossible for a humanoid species to do the same. However, this would likely require significant adaptations and protective mechanisms.

4. How would a humanoid civilization protect themselves from the flares of a red dwarf star?

A humanoid civilization living near a red dwarf star would likely need to employ various protective measures to shield themselves from the flares. This could include building underground or in shielded structures, developing advanced technology to detect and protect against flares, and possibly even genetic modifications to better withstand the radiation.

5. Could a humanoid species survive on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star?

It is possible for a humanoid species to survive on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star, but it would depend on several factors. These include the distance of the planet from the star, the strength and frequency of the flares, and the ability of the species to adapt and protect themselves. With the right conditions and precautions, it is possible for a humanoid species to thrive on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star.