Register to reply

Ideal gas: total kinetic energy of molecules striking a vessel's wall

Share this thread:
mSSM
Apr28-12, 05:21 PM
P: 31
Molecules in an ideal gas contained in a vessel are striking the vessels wall. I am trying to find the total kinetic energy of gas molecules striking a unit area of that well per unit time.

The number of collisions per unit area per unit time is derived from the normalized Maxwellian distribution of molecules per unit volume:
[tex]
\mathrm{d}N_v = \frac{N}{V} \frac{m^{3/2}}{(2\pi T)^{3/2}} \exp\left[ -m(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2)/2T \right] \mathrm{d}v_x \mathrm{d}v_y \mathrm{d}v_z
[/tex]

The number of collisions per unit area per unit time is then just obtained by multiplying [itex]dN_v[/itex] by the volume of a cylinder of unit base area and height [itex]v_z[/itex] (we imagine that an element of surface area of the vessel wall is perpendicular to some coordinate system's z-axis):
[tex]
\mathrm{d}\nu_{\vec{v}} = \frac{N}{V} \left(\frac{m}{2\pi T}\right)^{3/2} \exp\left[ -m(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2)/2T \right] v_z \mathrm{d}v_x \mathrm{d}v_y \mathrm{d}v_z[/tex]

The total number of impacts of gas molecules per unit area per unit time on the vessel is then just obtained by integrating over all velocities; the z-component of velocity is integrated only from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex], because negative velocities would mean that a molecule is going away from the wall:
[tex]
\nu = \frac{N}{V} \sqrt{\frac{T}{2\pi m}}
[/tex]

Now, from here I actually want to calculate the total kinetic energy of the gas molecules striking unit area of the wall per unit time. I thought this would just be:
[tex]E = \nu \frac{1}{2} m \overline{v^2}[/tex].

However, I am not sure how to properly calculate the average velocity, since I have to take care of the integration of the z-component.

I know the result is:
[tex] E = \frac{N}{V} \sqrt{\frac{2T^3}{m\pi}}[/tex],
which, if my above idea is correct, would just mean that my mean-square velocity would have to be:
[tex]\overline{v^2} = 4 \frac{T}{m}[/tex]

However, I have no idea how I am supposed to obtain that.

The x and y components of velocity would both give [itex]\frac{T}{m}[/itex], of course assuming Maxwellian distribution. That leaves me with [itex]2\frac{T}{m}[/itex], which I have no idea where to take from.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
mSSM
Apr29-12, 11:24 AM
P: 31
I actually found something similar to my problem here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...74&postcount=3

I think that would give me a velocity distribution close to what I need; I just don't understand how to get there... Any ideas?

Register to reply