Ideal gas: total kinetic energy of molecules striking a vessel's wall

In summary, the number of collisions per unit area per unit time in an ideal gas can be derived from the normalized Maxwellian distribution of molecules per unit volume. The total number of impacts per unit area per unit time on the vessel can be obtained by integrating over all velocities. To calculate the total kinetic energy of gas molecules striking a unit area of the wall per unit time, the average velocity must be calculated, which can be obtained by integrating the z-component of velocity from 0 to infinity. This results in a mean-square velocity of 4T/m. The x and y components of velocity would both contribute T/m, leading to a final velocity distribution of 2T/m. This can be used to calculate the total kinetic energy of the
mSSM
Molecules in an ideal gas contained in a vessel are striking the vessels wall. I am trying to find the total kinetic energy of gas molecules striking a unit area of that well per unit time.

The number of collisions per unit area per unit time is derived from the normalized Maxwellian distribution of molecules per unit volume:
[tex]
\mathrm{d}N_v = \frac{N}{V} \frac{m^{3/2}}{(2\pi T)^{3/2}} \exp\left[ -m(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2)/2T \right] \mathrm{d}v_x \mathrm{d}v_y \mathrm{d}v_z
[/tex]

The number of collisions per unit area per unit time is then just obtained by multiplying [itex]dN_v[/itex] by the volume of a cylinder of unit base area and height [itex]v_z[/itex] (we imagine that an element of surface area of the vessel wall is perpendicular to some coordinate system's z-axis):
[tex]
\mathrm{d}\nu_{\vec{v}} = \frac{N}{V} \left(\frac{m}{2\pi T}\right)^{3/2} \exp\left[ -m(v_x^2 + v_y^2 + v_z^2)/2T \right] v_z \mathrm{d}v_x \mathrm{d}v_y \mathrm{d}v_z[/tex]

The total number of impacts of gas molecules per unit area per unit time on the vessel is then just obtained by integrating over all velocities; the z-component of velocity is integrated only from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex], because negative velocities would mean that a molecule is going away from the wall:
[tex]
\nu = \frac{N}{V} \sqrt{\frac{T}{2\pi m}}
[/tex]

Now, from here I actually want to calculate the total kinetic energy of the gas molecules striking unit area of the wall per unit time. I thought this would just be:
[tex]E = \nu \frac{1}{2} m \overline{v^2}[/tex].

However, I am not sure how to properly calculate the average velocity, since I have to take care of the integration of the z-component.

I know the result is:
[tex] E = \frac{N}{V} \sqrt{\frac{2T^3}{m\pi}}[/tex],
which, if my above idea is correct, would just mean that my mean-square velocity would have to be:
[tex]\overline{v^2} = 4 \frac{T}{m}[/tex]

However, I have no idea how I am supposed to obtain that.

The x and y components of velocity would both give [itex]\frac{T}{m}[/itex], of course assuming Maxwellian distribution. That leaves me with [itex]2\frac{T}{m}[/itex], which I have no idea where to take from.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This means that the gas molecules do not have any attractive or repulsive forces between them.

2. How is the total kinetic energy of gas molecules related to pressure?

The total kinetic energy of gas molecules is directly related to the pressure of the gas. As the gas molecules move and collide with the walls of the vessel, they exert a force which results in the pressure of the gas. The more kinetic energy the molecules have, the more force they exert and the higher the pressure.

3. Why is the total kinetic energy of gas molecules important?

The total kinetic energy of gas molecules is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases. It is used to calculate important properties such as pressure, temperature, and volume. It also helps us understand gas laws and the ideal gas law.

4. How does temperature affect the total kinetic energy of gas molecules?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, temperature is directly proportional to the average kinetic energy of gas molecules. This means that as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of gas molecules also increases. This results in higher pressure and volume, while the density of the gas remains constant.

5. Is the total kinetic energy of gas molecules constant?

No, the total kinetic energy of gas molecules is not constant. According to the kinetic theory of gases, gas molecules are in constant motion and their kinetic energy changes as they collide with each other and with the walls of the container. However, the average kinetic energy remains constant as long as the temperature and number of gas molecules remain constant.