Helix in intrinsic coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for a particle in a magnetic field, which can be expressed as a helix in Cartesian coordinates. The discussion then shifts to the radius of curvature and the normal component of acceleration in intrinsic coordinates, which are derived from the equations for a helix. There is confusion about the role of the tangential and normal basis vectors in intrinsic coordinates. The question revolves around why the normal component of acceleration in intrinsic coordinates is equal to ##\frac{v_{\bot}^2}{r_L}##, when it can also be derived using the total velocity.
etotheipi
If a particle is in a magnetic field ##\vec{B} = B\hat{z}## with velocity ##\vec{v} = v_x \hat{x} + v_y \hat{y} + v_z \hat{z}##, then in Cartesian coordinates we can obtain the pair of differential equations $$\ddot{x} = \frac{qB}{m}\dot{y}$$$$\ddot{y} = -\frac{qB}{m}\dot{x}$$which give the solution$$\vec{r}(t) = \begin{pmatrix}r_L \cos{\omega t}\\r_L \sin{\omega t}\\v_z t\end{pmatrix}$$where ##\omega = \frac{qB}{m}## and ##r_L = \frac{mv_{\bot}}{qB}##, i.e. a helix.

Furthermore, we see that the acceleration vector has magnitude ##\frac{v_{\bot}^2}{r_L}## in a direction perpendicular to the velocity (and the magnetic field).

However, I'm having some trouble relating this to the acceleration in intrinsic coordinates. The radius of curvature of the helix given by ##\vec{r}(t)## is ##\rho = \frac{r_L^2 + v_z^2}{r_L}## and the normal component of acceleration in intrinsic coordinates is ##\frac{v^2}{\rho} = \frac{v^2 r_L}{r_L^2 + v_z^2}##, with ##v^2 = v_z^2 + v_{\bot}^2##.

The normal component of acceleration in intrinsic coordinates should equal ##\frac{v_{\bot}^2}{r_L}##, though, since both are the components of acceleration perpendicular to the velocity. I wondered what I've done wrong?

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be a little more detailed about your assertions of the expressions for the radius of curvature and the normal component of the acceleration? How did you get them? How would they differ in an inertial frame that moves in the ##z##-direction with velocity ##v_z##?

kuruman said:
Can you be a little more detailed about your assertions of the expressions for the radius of curvature and the normal component of the acceleration? How did you get them? How would they differ in an inertial frame that moves in the ##z##-direction with velocity ##v_z##?

The first part is that a helix of equation ##(x(t),y(t),z(t)) = (a\cos{t}, a\sin{t}, bt)## has a radius of curvature ##\frac{a^2 + b^2}{|a|}##; there's a derivation here.

The second is that in intrinsic coordinates, we have
$$\vec{v} = v\vec{e}_t$$ $$\vec{a} = \dot{v} \vec{e}_t + \frac{v^2}{\rho}\vec{e}_n$$ where ##\vec{e}_n## is the basis vector towards the instantaneous centre of curvature and ##\vec{e}_t## points in the tangential direction. Since the magnetic field does no work here, ##\dot{v}=0## and we must have ##\vec{a} = \frac{v^2}{\rho}\vec{e}_n##.

This coordinate system is established in the same inertial frame as the Cartesian system, except its basis vectors vary with position in the base space. I don't know if it makes sense to boost these coordinates.

etotheipi said:
This coordinate system is established in the same inertial frame as the Cartesian system, except its basis vectors vary with position in the base space.
But then they aren't inertial coordinates, so why do you expect the same accelerations as in the inertial frame?

A.T. said:
But then they aren't inertial coordinates, so why do you expect the same accelerations as in the inertial frame?

I don't understand. The basis vectors of a polar coordinate system vary with position in the base space, but we can still establish a polar coordinate system in an inertial frame.

@A.T. I found this sound-byte from Wikipedia:
In a general coordinate system, the basis vectors for the coordinates may vary in time at fixed positions, or they may vary with position at fixed times, or both. It may be noted that coordinate systems attached to both inertial frames and non-inertial frames can have basis vectors that vary in time, space or both, for example the description of a trajectory in polar coordinates as seen from an inertial frame.[13] or as seen from a rotating frame.[14] A time-dependent description of observations does not change the frame of reference in which the observations are made and recorded.

I suppose intrinsic coordinates are weird in that the basis depends on the trajectory. I'm struggling to figure out how this coordinate system relates to a frame of reference.

For a polar coordinate system it is easy; if the origin is accelerating or the line ##\theta=0## is rotating w.r.t an inertial coordinate system, then those polar coordinates are not inertial. Otherwise, those polar coordinates are inertial. In both cases, the basis vectors at any given time vary with position.

It is not so easy to visualise for intrinsic coordinates. The origin appears to be fixed (the point ##s = 0##), though, and it's not really obvious to me why there would be any fictitious forces. Indeed for circular motion, we could take ##F_n = ma_n \implies F_n = \frac{mv^2}{\rho}## and get the right answer, so there isn't a need for fictitious forces there.

I'm still pretty confused as to the OP :nb)

The tangent vector is $$\vec{e}_t = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(r_L \omega)^2 + v_z^2}} \begin{pmatrix}-r_L \omega \sin{\omega t}\\r_L \omega \cos{\omega t}\\v_z\end{pmatrix}$$ whilst the normal vector is $$\vec{e}_n = \frac{\dot{\vec{e}_t}}{|\dot{\vec{e}_t}|}= \begin{pmatrix}-\cos{\omega t}\\ -\sin{\omega t}\\0\end{pmatrix}$$ From the equation of the helix obtained in Cartesian coordinates, we have that ##\vec{a} = r_L \omega^2 \vec{e}_n##. So the normal component of acceleration in intrinsic coordinates is ##r_L \omega^2 = \frac{v_{\bot}^2}{r_L}##.

The question is they why ##v_{\bot}## feeds into that equation when we can otherwise derive ##\vec{a} = \dot{v} \vec{e}_t + \frac{v^2}{\rho}\vec{e}_n## with ##v = |\vec{v}|## as the magnitude of the total velocity?

1. What are intrinsic coordinates in relation to a helix?

Intrinsic coordinates refer to the parameters that describe the shape and orientation of a helix, such as the pitch, radius, and angle of the helix axis. These coordinates are independent of the external reference frame and are used to describe the internal structure of the helix.

2. How do intrinsic coordinates differ from extrinsic coordinates?

Intrinsic coordinates describe the internal structure of a helix, while extrinsic coordinates describe the position and orientation of the helix in a larger reference frame. Extrinsic coordinates are dependent on the external reference frame and can change when the helix is rotated or translated.

3. How are intrinsic coordinates used in the study of helices?

Intrinsic coordinates are used to analyze the properties and behavior of helices, such as their stability, flexibility, and interactions with other molecules. They can also be used to compare different helical structures and understand how changes in intrinsic coordinates affect the overall shape and function of the helix.

4. Can intrinsic coordinates be experimentally measured?

Yes, intrinsic coordinates can be experimentally measured using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and cryo-electron microscopy. These methods can provide information on the internal structure of a helix and the values of its intrinsic coordinates.

5. Are intrinsic coordinates universal for all helices?

No, intrinsic coordinates are specific to each helix and can vary depending on factors such as the type of helix (e.g. alpha, beta, or gamma), the size and composition of the helix, and the environment in which it is found. However, certain patterns and trends can be observed across different helical structures when comparing their intrinsic coordinates.