ANyone know how to draw a parallelogram/triangle to resolve force?

• Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, to resolve forces using a parallelogram or triangle, the vectors must be correctly connected and the resultant vector must be calculated as the difference between the two initial vectors.
mutineer123
ANyone know how to draw a parallelogram/triangle to resolve force??

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_s04_qp_2.pdf

question 1b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a triangle using a scale of 1cm=1N. I drew (at least I think I did) a decent sketch with the help of the protractor and ruler. For the resultant length i Just connected the two ends of the 8N and 6N lengths(which gave me a triangle). I measured the resultant which gave me 5.1cm, which with my scale is 5.1N. But my answers way off. Am i doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org

You connected the wrong points. Make a parallelogram of the vectors, and show your drawing.

ehild

ehild said:
You connected the wrong points. Make a parallelogram of the vectors, and show your drawing.

ehild

Kk i used a parallelogram this time, and got 13N thanks.

Splendid! It was the difference of the vectors what you got before. ehild

1. What is a parallelogram/triangle method for resolving forces?

The parallelogram/triangle method is a graphical technique used in physics to determine the resultant force of two or more forces acting on an object. It involves drawing a parallelogram or triangle to represent the forces and using basic geometry to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

2. How do I draw a parallelogram/triangle to resolve forces?

To draw a parallelogram, start by drawing a line to represent the first force, then draw a parallel line for the second force. Next, draw a line connecting the ends of the two force lines. The resulting shape should be a parallelogram. To draw a triangle, simply draw a line for each force and connect the ends to form a triangle.

3. What information do I need to use the parallelogram/triangle method?

You will need to know the magnitude and direction of each force acting on the object. This information can be given in terms of vectors or as a combination of magnitude and angle.

4. Can the parallelogram/triangle method be used for more than two forces?

Yes, the parallelogram/triangle method can be used for any number of forces. Simply draw a line for each force and connect the ends to form a closed shape. The resultant force will be represented by the diagonal of the shape.

5. Are there any limitations to using the parallelogram/triangle method?

The parallelogram/triangle method assumes that all forces are acting on the same plane. It also assumes that the forces are acting at a single point on the object. Additionally, this method only works for forces that are in equilibrium, meaning that the object is not accelerating. If the object is accelerating, more advanced techniques are needed to resolve the forces.