Centripetal Force: Weight + Direction Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the link to a question and its corresponding answer in the mark scheme for a physics exam. The question is about the relationship between the force in a cord and the weight and centripetal force acting on an object. The answer explains that, since the weight and centripetal force act in opposite directions, the net force on the object is equal to the sum of the centripetal force and the weight. This is represented by the equation T = Fcp + mg.
Osaid
I can't seem to post pictures, but I will give the link to the question along with the link to the answer given in the mark scheme. Here goes:

Question: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_w07_qp_4.pdf

Answer link (mark scheme): http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20(9702)/9702_w07_ms_4.pdf

The part I am having a problem with is the last part of the question. The mark scheme states that the force in cord = weight + centripetal force. I don't get why and how this is so because aren't the directions of the weight and the centripetal force opposite?

Thanks in advance, guys !

Physics news on Phys.org
Osaid said:
The part I am having a problem with is the last part of the question. The mark scheme states that the force in cord = weight + centripetal force. I don't get why and how this is so because aren't the directions of the weight and the centripetal force opposite?

They are indeed acting in opposite directions...

If we take up as positive and draw a FBD for the mass then the net force acting on the mass would be T-mg. Where T is the tension and mg is the weight. Ok with that so far?

In order to make the mass rotate the net force acting on the mass must provide the required centripetal force Fcp. So..

T - mg = Fcp

rearrange that to give

T = Fcp + mg

Likes Osaid and physics user1
CWatters said:
They are indeed acting in opposite directions...

If we take up as positive and draw a FBD for the mass then the net force acting on the mass would be T-mg. Where T is the tension and mg is the weight. Ok with that so far?

In order to make the mass rotate the net force acting on the mass must provide the required centripetal force Fcp. So..

T - mg = Fcp

rearrange that to give

T = Fcp + mg
Thanks bro ! I get it now !

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular motion, directing it towards the center of the circle. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is required to keep the object moving in a circular path.

2. How is centripetal force related to weight?

The centripetal force is not directly related to an object's weight, but it is proportional to its mass. This means that the more massive an object is, the more centripetal force it will need to maintain its circular motion.

3. What determines the direction of centripetal force?

The direction of centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle. This is because it is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path, and any force acting in a different direction would cause the object to deviate from its circular motion.

4. Can centripetal force be applied in any direction?

No, centripetal force must always be directed towards the center of the circle. This is a fundamental principle of circular motion and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

5. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc represents the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. In other words, the more massive the object is, the faster it is moving, or the smaller the radius of the circle, the greater the centripetal force required to maintain its circular motion.