Register to reply

Components of A Resultant Force

by Bashyboy
Tags: components, force, resultant
Share this thread:
Bashyboy
May1-12, 03:05 PM
P: 936
The following problem is one I have contrived by my own ability, so if there is any error please let me know.

Say I have a box, with a chain attached at one of the edges of the box, and I apply 10 N pull at a 40 angle with the surface of the box. Now I know we sometimes resolve vectors into their components for mere convenience of the addition of vectors. So in this case, we have a horizontal component of 7.7 N, and vertical component of 6.4 N. My question is: if I to pull with 6.4 N vertically, and a friend pull with 7.7 N horizontally, would the box accelerate in the same way if I were to only one force of 10 N at a 40 angle with the surface of the box?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Naty1
May1-12, 03:24 PM
P: 5,632
you got it!
Two component vectors ARE equivalent to their total... just like 6.4 plus 7.7 equals 14.1....in that case the vectors point in the same direction....and if they were in opposite directions 6.4 - 7.7 is equivalent to -1.3....[signs are arbitrary]
Bashyboy
May1-12, 03:36 PM
P: 936
Wow, thanks!

thebrainstorm
May1-12, 03:56 PM
P: 6
Components of A Resultant Force

Yes, the accelaration in both cases would be the same because in both cases, he forces acting in the parallel and perpendicular directions would be the same, and since there is no question of variable mass, so the forces will produce the same accelaration.

Register to reply