Calculating Forces in a Leg: Gait Analysis and Joint Reaction Force

• Thread starter By55
  • Start date
By55
Homework Statement
Already posted
Relevant Equations
Basic eq that states that for a stationary object the sum of forces is 0 and for a statinary object also the sum of moments is 0.
TL;DR Summary: I had this question in my voluntary homework, but I cant seem to get it done the right way. I have tried to make the balance equations for the x and z axis as well as one for the moment.

Full question here, also as a PNG below
Based on the gait analysis experiments, the following information is available: the vertical component of ground reaction force (GRF) is 67 N, the horizontal component of GRF is 15 N. The horizontal distance between the GRF and the ankle joint b = 3.2 cm, and the vertical distance d = 2.6 cm. The inclination of the tibia in the sagittal plane is 10° and the Achilles tendon force is assumed to be parallel to the tibial longitudinal axis and acting at a distance of 25.4 mm. Calculate the Achilles tendon force and the joint reaction force. (answers: Ft ≈ 776 N, Rx ≈ 67 N, Rz ≈ 1.4 kN).

Typo in the picture, vertical GRF is 67N)
My answer so far in the pdf, ask if (when) there is something you cant understand

Attachments

• Problem4.1.PNG
    Problem4.1.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 33
  • Problem4.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Can you please attach the problem and diagram instead of linking off-site? That would help a lot. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. Can you please attach the problem and diagram instead of linking off-site? That would help a lot. Thanks.
Oh, yes of course. My bad for missing the button to add attachments

Likes berkeman
By55 said:
I have tried to make the balance equations for the x and z axis as well as one for the moment.
Please also post your attempt, per forum rules.

Likes By55
Sorry for al this hassle. Posting this here since it doesn't let me edit the OG post anymore. But here is my train of thought so far:

Firstly lets define the point of GRF as B and the joint as A. Now ##B_z = 76N,~B_x = 15N##. Also we can get the x and z components from the Achilles tendon force ##F_t##.
$$F_x = sin(10)*F_t, ~F_z = cos(10)*F_t$$.
Now the x-axis balance is ##-B_x-R_x+sin(10)*F_t=0##
And for z-axis ##B_z-R_z+cos(10)*F_t=0##
And the moment balance $$0.032m*B_z-0.026*B_x-0.025m*F_x+0.0044m*F_z=0$$, where the lengts of B_z and B_x are from the assignment and for F_x and F_z they are calculated usind sin- and cos-functions. When solving these three equations, I get these answers that aren't even close to the correct ones.
Also I tried to calculate the F_t from the moment equation, since it is the only variable there, but get something like ##2.18N*10^5##

Last edited:
By55 said:
Sorry, it's there now
PDF is not a great choice. On my iPad I would have to download it.
Forum rules say you should type in your work, preferably using LaTeX.
Upload images for diagrams, of course, but images for equations are a pain, even if legible, because those responding cannot copy/paste. If you must upload images of your working, ensure they are clearly legible and number the equations.

Likes berkeman
@By55 -- There is a "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. I will send you some additional LaTeX tips now via Private Message (PM).

Really appreciate your patience, I have a ton going at the moment and now realise that this was maybe not the best time to ask help for this problem, but here we are. Thank you for the PM!

Likes berkeman

1. What is gait analysis and why is it important in calculating forces in a leg?

Gait analysis is the study of human locomotion, specifically the movement patterns of the lower limbs during walking or running. It is important in calculating forces in a leg because it allows us to understand how the body responds to external forces and how those forces are distributed throughout the leg joints.

2. What factors affect the joint reaction forces in the leg?

The joint reaction forces in the leg are affected by a variety of factors, including body weight, muscle strength, joint alignment, and the type of activity being performed. Other factors such as footwear, surface type, and speed of movement can also have an impact.

3. How are joint reaction forces calculated in gait analysis?

Joint reaction forces are typically calculated using biomechanical models and force plate data. The models take into account the motion of the leg joints and the forces acting on the leg, such as body weight and muscle forces. Force plate data measures the forces and moments applied to the ground by the foot during walking or running.

4. What are the potential clinical applications of gait analysis and joint reaction force calculations?

Gait analysis and joint reaction force calculations have several clinical applications, including assessing and monitoring the progress of rehabilitation programs, identifying abnormal gait patterns and potential injury risks, and guiding the design of orthotics or prosthetics for individuals with gait disorders.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in calculating forces in a leg using gait analysis?

There are some limitations and challenges in calculating forces in a leg using gait analysis. These include the complexity of the biomechanical models and the need for accurate and precise force plate data. Additionally, gait analysis may not fully capture the dynamic and individualized nature of human movement, making it difficult to apply the results to all individuals. It is important for scientists to continuously improve and refine gait analysis techniques to overcome these limitations.