Definitions of some terms

by wwonderboy
Tags: definitions, terms
wwonderboy
May4-12, 10:28 AM
P: 2
hey guys i wanna know the definition of these terms & what are they but please i don't want big words because i won't understand i wanna understand it simply:
1-Fermi level
2-Density of states
3-Carrier concentration & the graphs (in the attachment)
4-Mass action law
5-Charge neutrality
i attached some files because i don't understand what it is saying
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier concentration.jpg   charge neutrality.jpg   mass action law.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Understanding the energy and charge transfer of ions passing through membranes
High-temperature plasmonics eyed for solar, computer innovation
uncanny_man
May4-12, 12:01 PM
P: 17
Do you have any chemistry background? Because the easiest way to think of the Fermi level is as your highest occupied orbital. The major difference is that in a crystal structure, your discrete atomic or molecular orbitals blend together into bands of energy levels (so it isn't a Highest Occupied Molecular Orbital, it is instead called the Fermi level). Your density of states diagram is then analogous to a molecular orbital diagram. The big difference is that you once again don't have discrete energy levels, you now have a probability distribution for possible electronic states.
M Quack
May4-12, 12:30 PM
P: 640
Fermi level: At zero temperature everything below is occupied, everything above is empty. At finite temperature things get smeared out a but, according to Fermi-Dirac statistics.

Density of states: How many electrons can you fit at this energy? There can be occupied and unoccupied DoS, so you have to be a bit careful sometimes.

Charge neutrality: Just what is says. Number of positive charges (holes and donors) = number of negative charges (electrons and acceptors)

Mass action law: Read the equation. Concentration of holes times concentration of electrons is a constant.

Carrier density: Number of mobile electrons that can carry an electric current. Depends on the DoS and the probability to find an electron or hole there (Fermi-Dirac statistics)

Register to reply