Register to reply

Is classical mechanics needed before E&M (Griffiths)..

by DrummingAtom
Tags: classical, eandm, griffiths, mechanics
Share this thread:
DrummingAtom
May7-12, 03:42 PM
P: 661
This summer I plan to self study quite a bit and want to learn as much as I can. I'm an EE major and have taken Calc 1-3, and DiffyQ/Linear algebra as well as intro physics classes. I will be taking classical mechanics in Spring 2013 but wanted to dive into Griffiths E&M book this summer. Is this a bad idea? Will it be less efficient than the traditional route?

Also, I have Boas' book to supplement any math deficiencies that come up. Thanks for any advice.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
jtbell
May7-12, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 11,614
To study Griffiths E&M, you don't need any more mechanics than you got in your intro physics sequence, assuming it was calculus-based.
DrummingAtom
May10-12, 01:11 PM
P: 661
Alright that sounds good. Just out of curiosity why don't they teach E&M and classical mechanics at the same time then? At my school, they have the physics majors go through 2 semesters of classical mechanics before E&M.

Register to reply