Register to reply

Is classical mechanics needed before E&M (Griffiths)..

by DrummingAtom
Tags: classical, eandm, griffiths, mechanics
Share this thread:
DrummingAtom
May7-12, 03:42 PM
P: 661
This summer I plan to self study quite a bit and want to learn as much as I can. I'm an EE major and have taken Calc 1-3, and DiffyQ/Linear algebra as well as intro physics classes. I will be taking classical mechanics in Spring 2013 but wanted to dive into Griffiths E&M book this summer. Is this a bad idea? Will it be less efficient than the traditional route?

Also, I have Boas' book to supplement any math deficiencies that come up. Thanks for any advice.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
jtbell
May7-12, 03:53 PM
Mentor
P: 11,779
To study Griffiths E&M, you don't need any more mechanics than you got in your intro physics sequence, assuming it was calculus-based.
DrummingAtom
May10-12, 01:11 PM
P: 661
Alright that sounds good. Just out of curiosity why don't they teach E&M and classical mechanics at the same time then? At my school, they have the physics majors go through 2 semesters of classical mechanics before E&M.

Register to reply