Review Griffiths E/M before Jackson?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who will be taking an advanced electromagnetism course and is concerned about their understanding of the subject. They mention that they didn't work hard in the previous course that used Griffiths' textbook and have some gaps in their understanding. They ask if reviewing the material before the next semester starts would be helpful. The other person responds that Griffiths' textbook is clear and simple, but occasionally uses unreasonable methods to explain concepts. They suggest using other references if feeling confused. They also mention that the textbook has a lot of exercises and advise doing the important ones if in a hurry. They also suggest using the solution manual if available, but to give enough time to think about the solution and not rush it.
Pundarikaksha
Hello,
I will be starting my junior year this August, I shall be having the dreaded advanced electromagnetism course that follows Jackson's book the coming semester. Unfortunately, I didn't work very hard during my freshman year e/m course (which uses Griffiths' book) and have a few gaps in my understanding. I wanted to know if reviewing it before the next semester starts would be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

I like Griffiths textbook. He explains the fundamental ideas in a clear and simple way, though be careful! In rare occasions he uses unreasonable methods to explain the concepts (Expected, since it is an Undergraduate level textbook), if you are feeling confused just look at google/wiki or other references. Anyhow I think it is very useful.

It will take you a lot of time to finish it, especially with the enormous amount of exercises. I will advice you to at least do the important exercise if you are in a hurry. I don't think you will be able to comprehend the ideas in your mind without doing the exercises.

Unlike what some people would say, look at the solution manual if you have access to. But give yourself more than enough time to think about the solution, and don't rush it. Otherwise, looking at the solution manual would will harm you a lot in the process and it will give you a very bad habit.

1. What is the importance of reviewing Griffiths E/M before Jackson?

Reviewing Griffiths E/M before Jackson is important because it provides a solid foundation for understanding the concepts and principles of classical electrodynamics. Jackson's book builds upon the topics covered in Griffiths, so having a thorough understanding of Griffiths will make it easier to understand Jackson.

2. What topics are covered in Griffiths E/M?

Griffiths E/M covers topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, Maxwell's equations, and electromagnetic waves. It also includes discussions on electric and magnetic fields, potential, and energy, as well as various applications of these concepts.

3. Is Griffiths E/M a beginner-friendly textbook?

Yes, Griffiths E/M is considered to be a beginner-friendly textbook. It presents the concepts in a clear and concise manner, with plenty of examples and exercises to help solidify understanding. It is often used as a textbook for introductory courses in electrodynamics.

4. How does Jackson's book differ from Griffiths E/M?

Jackson's book, "Classical Electrodynamics," is considered to be a more advanced and comprehensive textbook compared to Griffiths E/M. It covers similar topics but in more depth and also includes advanced topics such as electrodynamics in special relativity and electromagnetic radiation in matter.

5. Should I read Griffiths E/M cover to cover before starting Jackson?

It is recommended to read Griffiths E/M cover to cover before starting Jackson. This will provide a solid foundation and understanding of the fundamental concepts before diving into the more advanced topics covered in Jackson's book. However, if you are already familiar with the concepts covered in Griffiths, you can skip to specific chapters in Jackson as needed.