Pitfalls of E&M or QM without classical mechanics

In summary: Taking an E&M course after taking a classical mechanics course would not be at a disadvantage, but would require some mathematical knowledge.
axmls
I'm an EE major doing a minor in physics. I have to take a standard intermediate electromagnetism course from the engineering department (which is just a more applied version of the physics department course). To get my minor, I was thinking about getting permission to use this course as a prereq to take the second E&M course (electrodynamics). In addition, I'd also like to take the introductory quantum mechanics course out of my own personal interests.

The prereq for the first E&M course in the physics department is a course in classicalc mechanics. Assuming I can, in a special case, get into the electrodynamics course, would I face any difficulties not having taken classical mechanics? What about for the quantum mechanics course?

Also: will I be at a major disadvantage taking a physics electrodynamics course after an engineering first course in electromagnetism? Our EE department does not have more than one E&M course, and so the physics department is my only option for more.

For reference: I've taken the standard freshman-level E&M course already.

Physics news on Phys.org
It always depends on the courses, their focus, the knowledge the lecturer takes as granted and so on.
Quantum mechanic courses will probably require some knowledge of Lagrange- and Hamilton formalism, the concept of phase space and related topics. It is possible to learn those topics with books, lectures are not necessary (but can be useful).
For electrodynamics, mathematical knowledge is probably more important than classical mechanics - vectors, tensors, concepts like the gradient, curl and other things in 3 or 3+1 dimensions.

But aside from the pure prerequisities which mfb describes, there are also problem-solving techniques which are important. It happens occasionally that techniques used in classical mechanics are used in E&M. This might be a problem since the professor might assume that people know these techniques from a previous course.

Do you know what texts are being used now, or have been used in the past, for these courses?

Likes micromass
George Jones said:
Do you know what texts are being used now, or have been used in the past, for these courses?
The department uses Taylor for classical mechanics and Griffiths for E&M.

The engineering E&M course uses "Fundamentals of Applied Electromagnetics" by Ulaby.

Last edited:

1. What are some common pitfalls of studying electromagnetism or quantum mechanics without a foundation in classical mechanics?

One common pitfall is a lack of understanding of fundamental concepts, such as force, energy, and momentum. Without a grasp on these concepts from classical mechanics, it can be difficult to fully comprehend the underlying principles of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

2. How does classical mechanics relate to electromagnetism and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics serves as the foundation for both electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. Many of the principles and equations from classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy, are also applicable in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

3. Can studying electromagnetism or quantum mechanics without classical mechanics lead to incorrect conclusions?

Yes, it is possible to reach incorrect conclusions if one does not have a solid understanding of classical mechanics. Without this foundation, it can be easy to misinterpret equations and make mistakes in calculations, leading to incorrect conclusions.

4. Are there any benefits to studying classical mechanics before delving into electromagnetism and quantum mechanics?

Yes, studying classical mechanics first provides a strong basis for understanding the underlying principles and equations in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in these fields.

5. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of classical mechanics to study electromagnetism and quantum mechanics?

While having a thorough understanding of classical mechanics is highly beneficial, it is not necessarily required. However, it is important to have at least a basic understanding of classical mechanics in order to fully grasp the concepts in electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.