Register to reply

No engineering background, want to self-study medical engineering. Tips?

Share this thread:
EricVT
Jun1-12, 01:38 PM
P: 163
I have a physics and medical physics background with no engineering coursework or work experience to speak of. I have some knowledge of the design and function of various medical technologies, mostly pertaining to radiation oncology and radiology, acquired through my job as a medical physicist. I have a knowledge foundation for biology, chemistry, programming, anatomy, physiology, and statistics.

I have an interest in self-studying medical engineering from a mixed general interest and technical perspective, and have the following questions:

1. Are there general engineering texts that I should familiarize myself with prior to the medical engineering self-study?

2. Are there medical engineering texts that anyone would recommend for my purpose?

3. Any other advice?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
uglybachelor
Jun3-12, 05:59 AM
P: 19
I'm not sure about your definition of medical engineering. I have a BS in EE, and in my college medical engineering is mainly about medical imaging and medical instrument design. If this is where your interests are, I may be able to help you, because EE and medical imaging has a lot in common.
chiro
Jun3-12, 06:48 AM
P: 4,573
Hey EricVT.

Just out of curiosity, does the medical engineering field you are interested in require certification of any kind, including accredited university study or a non-university pathway for certification?

I think answering this will help you answer your own question.

Register to reply