Register to reply

Double posting?

by who_
Tags: double, posting
Share this thread:
who_
Jul30-12, 08:41 AM
P: 65
Recently, many of my posts are being sent twice. Meaning, every time I click post, my post gets posted twice. Is anyone else having this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
phinds
Jul30-12, 11:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,123
Quote Quote by who_ View Post
Recently, many of my posts are being sent twice. Meaning, every time I click post, my post gets posted twice. Is anyone else having this problem?
I've never seen it and don't even remember anyone ever having posted that problem (but I could be wrong).

Are you having double-click problems in any other applications? What browser are you using?
who_
Jul30-12, 11:07 AM
I'm using Chromium on Debian 6. Perhaps I am double clicking sometimes - does that actually cause the post to appear twice?

phinds
Jul30-12, 11:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,123
Double posting?

I'm using Chromium on Debian 6. Perhaps I am double clicking sometimes - does that actually cause the post to appear twice?
It shouldn't. I'm hoping one of the forum gurus will jump in here.
Greg Bernhardt
Jul30-12, 12:21 PM
Admin
P: 9,334
The system does have a safeguard for double posting built in, but there could be an instance where the AJAX confirmation is slow and it ends up sending twice. Does it happen in a different browser?
who_
Jul30-12, 12:23 PM
Hmm, in that case, could it be my relatively slow internet connection?
AlephZero
Jul30-12, 03:53 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
Do you literally mean "every time" or just "enough times to be annoying"?

For example did you get 3 double posts in this thread and delete each of the duplicates?
who_
Jul30-12, 09:22 PM
Well, not every time; but it happens frequently, and I actually don't know how to delete posts in PF.
Whovian
Jul31-12, 09:13 AM
P: 642
Well, not every time; but it happens frequently, and I actually don't know how to delete posts in PF.
Actually, you can't, unfortunately.

Anyway, this is confusing. I sometimes accidentally double post, but that's because the Kindle's browser is complete rubbish.
AlephZero
Jul31-12, 02:20 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
Quote Quote by Whovian View Post
Actually, you can't, unfortunately.
Go into "edit post", and somehere at the bottom of the page there is a "delete post" button, plus a field where you can say why you deleted it.

AFAIK The post doesn't actually get deleted, it's just hidden from everybody except the admins.
berkeman
Jul31-12, 04:22 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Click the "Report" button on the post, and ask the Mentors to delete it.

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Go into "edit post", and somehere at the bottom of the page there is a "delete post" button, plus a field where you can say why you deleted it.

AFAIK The post doesn't actually get deleted, it's just hidden from everybody except the admins.
I don't think regular users see that button. Probably just Science Advisors and Mentors?
jedishrfu
Jul31-12, 04:37 PM
P: 2,812
I'm a regular user and I can see the delete button on the edit post screen.
berkeman
Jul31-12, 04:42 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by jedishrfu View Post
I'm a regular user and I can see the delete button on the edit post screen.
Interesting. So maybe that button is there as long as the Edit timeout hasn't expired yet. Thanks.
micromass
Jul31-12, 07:38 PM
Mentor
P: 18,071
I think it has to do with the difference between a thread and a post. If you posted a new thread, then you can't delete it. If you merely replied to a thread, then you can delete it if you want.
Naty1
Aug1-12, 10:41 AM
P: 5,632
I think it has to do with the difference between a thread and a post. If you posted a new thread, then you can't delete it. If you merely replied to a thread, then you can delete it if you want.
That is my experience here.

Register to reply