How can I retrieve a lost draft of a post on a forum?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was typing a draft for a post on a forum when they accidentally hit a sequence of keys and were transported back to the forum level. They tried to find their draft by going back and checking their recent posts, but it wasn't there. Eventually, they were able to find it by going to their profile and checking their recent posts. The speaker also mentions accidentally brushing the touchpad on their laptop and ending up in "hyperspace," but they were able to fix the issue by covering the touchpad. They also had a similar experience with an unfinished post appearing to vanish, but it reappeared when they refreshed the page. The speaker also mentions a save draft button in the editor and suggests using CTRL-A CTRL-C
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I was typing a draft of a post for a new thread, when all of a sudden, I was transported back to the forum level (I probably hit some weird sequence of keys during my (presumably) deranged typing, but I don't know what that would be).
I went back, using the back key to try to get to my draft, but could not find it. I also tried going back to the made a new thread for the forum I was in and looked for a saved post, but there was none there.
However, I was able to find it by going to MY PF and looking at my recent posts, where I found it as my most recent post, which was autosaved.

I'm not expecting an explanation, but maybe this would work for someone else in this kind of situation.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Keith_McClary
Physics news on Phys.org
I never accidentally brush the touchpad on my laptop and end up in hyperspace. Well, since I covered the danged pad it hasn't happened on my personal laptop. My work laptop still has that issue. Not all laptops let you turn off the hyperspace-o-pad...

Likes BillTre
I had that happen more than once. My unfinished post appeared to have vanished, but when I refreshed the page, it reappeared. Once, I gave up, then returned to the same thread days later and much to my surprise found my unposted text still waiting there.

There is a save draft button in the editor. But CTRL-A CTRL-C works well also.

Likes BillTre and berkeman

1. What should I do if I accidentally lost my draft?

If you have lost your draft, the first thing you should do is try to retrace your steps. Check your computer's trash or recycle bin to see if the draft was accidentally deleted. You can also try using the "undo" function to see if you can retrieve your draft. If these options don't work, you may need to start over or try to recreate your draft from memory.

2. Can I recover a lost draft?

In some cases, you may be able to recover a lost draft. If you have a backup system in place, you may be able to retrieve an earlier version of your draft. You can also try using data recovery software to retrieve the lost file. However, there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover a lost draft, so it is important to regularly save your work and back it up.

3. How can I prevent losing my draft in the future?

To prevent losing your draft in the future, it is important to save your work regularly. You can also use tools such as auto-save or backup systems to ensure that your work is saved even if you forget to do so manually. It is also a good idea to periodically back up your work to an external hard drive or cloud storage.

4. What should I do if I found my lost draft, but it is corrupted or damaged?

If you have found your lost draft, but it is corrupted or damaged, you may still be able to recover some of your work. Try using data recovery software to see if you can retrieve any salvageable information. If not, you may need to start over or try to recreate your draft from memory.

5. Is it possible to recover a draft that was lost a long time ago?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover a draft that was lost a long time ago. However, the chances of successful recovery decrease the longer the draft has been lost. It is always best to regularly save your work and back it up to prevent losing important drafts.