Voltmeter registers on my skin

In summary, the voltmeter will read strongly when touched to the arm, but is not actually in contact with any current.
SharkyMan
Can anyone out there tell me why a voltmeter would strongly register when I touch it to my arm, and yet I am in no contact with any electrical current? This seems outrageous to me. It is a commercially available pen tester bought at Home Depot and set on the highest setting.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what you are talking about, you should be getting almost no volts or amps if u are touching it to your arm. Maybe you have it set on ohms? I imagine that would get a pretty strong reading, especially if you held on lead in one hand and one lead in the other.

I am touching nothing, the voltmeter is set for household use, and the other hand is free. Any ideas?

it is not set to ohms, it is really nuts.

if you are in So Cal, I would be glad to meet up with you and demonstrate this nutty phenom.

Voltage is measured between two points. One point is touching your arm, but what is the other point?

Or they do make non-contact voltmeters that, if I understand correctly, treat the surface you're measuring as one plate in a capacitor and the meter probe as the other plate and measure the charge across the plates. In that case, your arm might simply have a charge on it that the meter is measuring. I don't really know the details of these devices, but your pen might've come with a manual that tells you how it works.

I agree, I am supposed to touch a conductive plate around the electrical device, but i don't have to do that, all I am doing is standing (I've tried this in many rooms and outdoors) and if I make contact with any part of my skin on my arm or face the volt alarm sounds at its highest sound.

Can you link to an Ad for the meter?

1. What does it mean when a voltmeter registers on my skin?

When a voltmeter registers on your skin, it means that there is a flow of electrical current passing through your body. This can be caused by various factors such as static electricity, faulty wiring, or contact with an electrical source.

2. Is it dangerous if a voltmeter registers on my skin?

It can be dangerous if a voltmeter registers on your skin, as it indicates the presence of an electrical current passing through your body. This can lead to electric shock, burns, or other injuries. It is important to immediately remove yourself from the source of the current and seek medical attention if necessary.

3. Why does a voltmeter register on my skin when I touch certain objects?

Certain objects, such as metal surfaces or electronic devices, can conduct electricity and create a path for electric current to pass through your body. This can cause a voltmeter to register on your skin when you touch these objects, especially if there is a faulty wiring or a high amount of static electricity present.

4. Can a voltmeter registering on my skin be a sign of a larger electrical issue?

Yes, a voltmeter registering on your skin can be a sign of a larger electrical issue. It is important to investigate the source of the electrical current and address any potential hazards, such as faulty wiring or damaged electrical devices, to prevent further accidents or injuries.

5. What should I do if a voltmeter registers on my skin?

If a voltmeter registers on your skin, the first thing you should do is remove yourself from the source of the electrical current. Seek medical attention if needed, and then investigate the cause of the current to prevent future incidents. It is also important to always follow proper safety precautions when dealing with electricity to avoid accidents.