Register to reply

Voltmeter registers on my skin

Share this thread:
SharkyMan
Oct20-12, 09:48 PM
P: 5
Can anyone out there tell me why a voltmeter would strongly register when I touch it to my arm, and yet I am in no contact with any electrical current? This seems outrageous to me. It is a commercially available pen tester bought at Home Depot and set on the highest setting.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'
Instant noodles carry health risks for women: study
Extracorporeal support can significantly increase number of organs for transplant
JonDE
Oct21-12, 12:57 AM
P: 59
I'm not really sure what you are talking about, you should be getting almost no volts or amps if u are touching it to your arm. Maybe you have it set on ohms? I imagine that would get a pretty strong reading, especially if you held on lead in one hand and one lead in the other.
SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 05:59 AM
I am touching nothing, the voltmeter is set for household use, and the other hand is free. Any ideas?

SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 06:00 AM
Voltmeter registers on my skin

it is not set to ohms, it is really nuts.
SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 06:01 AM
if you are in So Cal, I would be glad to meet up with you and demonstrate this nutty phenom.
digfarenough
Oct21-12, 11:44 PM
P: 21
Voltage is measured between two points. One point is touching your arm, but what is the other point?

Or they do make non-contact voltmeters that, if I understand correctly, treat the surface you're measuring as one plate in a capacitor and the meter probe as the other plate and measure the charge across the plates. In that case, your arm might simply have a charge on it that the meter is measuring. I don't really know the details of these devices, but your pen might've come with a manual that tells you how it works.
SharkyMan
Oct22-12, 03:58 AM
I agree, I am supposed to touch a conductive plate around the electrical device, but i don't have to do that, all I am doing is standing (I've tried this in many rooms and outdoors) and if I make contact with any part of my skin on my arm or face the volt alarm sounds at its highest sound.
zoobyshoe
Oct24-12, 03:18 AM
P: 5,630
Can you link to an Ad for the meter?

Register to reply