Any psychologists here? Worried about my mother

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's mother being under a lot of stress due to taking care of her paralyzed sister and dealing with a gambling addiction. The speaker is worried about their mother's mental state and is seeking advice on how to address the situation without causing conflict. Suggestions were made to seek counseling or support groups, and to potentially contact the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation for assistance. The idea of in-home social services was also brought up as a way to alleviate some of the stress on the mother. The speaker is also considering taking their mother to a doctor for assessment.
Jack21222
I'm worried about my mother, and I'm hoping a psychologist or psychiatrist can give me some advice. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, or if it should be moved to general discussion, but I figured this is as good of a place as any.

My sister was shot and paralyzed two years ago, and for the past year and a half my mother has been taking care of her. Feeding her, doing bowel training, up until recently had to catheterize her, et cetera. All of this has taken quite a toll on my mother, and a few times, I've seen her "snap."

A few examples:

1) My sister is hypersensitive around her shoulders, so anything touching them is painful. She describes it as having a permanent sunburn. One day I was sitting with my sister, and my mother accidentally touched my sister's shoulder. My sister said "Ow, be careful" and my mother started laughing. She poked her again and laughed even harder.

The more my sister begged for her to stop, my mother kept poking her, laughing harder and harder, adding "What are you doing to do about it?"

When I glared at my mother and suggested she stop, she started yelling at me at the top of her lungs "F*** YOU! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!" and so on and so forth.

2) My sister told me the other day, my mother was in a bad mood, so my sister asked "What's wrong?" My mother responded "You know I blame you. My life sucks and it's your fault." My sister started sobbing, and my mother kept up the abuse, calling her stupid among other things. My sister said "I wish I were dead" and my mother responded "So do I! Die already!"

In addition, my parents have developed a nasty gambling addiction. It turns out they lost 26,000 dollars last year at the slot machines. Meanwhile, they're having trouble paying their bills, and they've gone deep into credit card debt. That 26,000 wasn't "extra" that they had set aside for entertainment. One day, my mother said she was running to the store real quick to buy some items for the house. She ended up going to Delaware Park instead and spent the money she had taken to buy the items on the slot machines, and came home empty handed.

I'm not sure what I should do in this situation. My mother obviously is under tremendous stress, and she isn't dealing with it in a healthy way at all. However, she doesn't think she has a problem. She always comes up with some excuse for her behavior. "The slot machines are just a form of entertainment," she says. "Oh, I was just having a bad day" she says about her actions to my sister.

I think it's a much more serious problem than that. I just don't know how to bring up the situation in a way that will make her understand, without her snapping at me. She probably needs to be on some sort of medication, but I'm not sure if there are any medications for whatever has gone wrong.

Any suggestions from anybody with some background training? I'm lost here.

Thanks.

***EDIT*** I know this forum is not for medical diagnoses, and I'm not looking for a specific diagnosis here. I'm more looking for a general direction, since I can't force her to the doctor. I'm looking for some possibilities on what she has, whether a doctor would help, maybe some ammo I could use to convince her to see somebody. If anybody has a suggestion of several different possible disorders or whatever that she has, that's great, but just some general information about what's going on would be useful. Heck, even just a website or a search term that I could plug into google would be useful, because I'm lost. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
This sounds like a situation that a social worker might need to assess.

Your mother needs help dealing with the stress. You can find a lot of support groups on the internet for the family of victims and families and caretakers of disabled people.

Counseling might be a good idea for your mother. Your family doctor should be able to recommend someone. The hospital probably gave your mother information on these support groups. It's pretty standard.

Wow, Jack21222, sounds like your family is really under a lot of stress, and in turmoil. I think a call to a social worker would really help. Your mother needs a break from time to time.

So sorry to hear of your troubles - I wish the best for you.

lisab said:
Wow, Jack21222, sounds like your family is really under a lot of stress, and in turmoil. I think a call to a social worker would really help. Your mother needs a break from time to time.

So sorry to hear of your troubles - I wish the best for you.

Thanks. I just need to figure out a way to get in some help without alienating my family. It sounds like it may be a bit more than just antidepressants can cure.

I think I'm going to contact somebody from the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation to see if they'd suggest anybody in particular. They were a tremendous help in the months after the injury, and they must run into this problem often.

There's a thing called "In-Home Social Services", I think, and if you can arrange for that they send a caregiver to do all the things your mother currently has to do for your sister. I assume your sister is getting some kind of Social Security for being disabled and I think anyone who qualifies for that also qualifies for IHSS. I'm sure it would take some of the stress off your mother.

I think you should take your mother to see a doctor for assessment coz there are a number of reasons for these behaviours. The doctor will take a more thorough history, do physical exams and appropriate investigations before s/he can make a correct diagnosis and help your mother.

Take care Jack

Jack21222 said:
Thanks. I just need to figure out a way to get in some help without alienating my family. It sounds like it may be a bit more than just antidepressants can cure.

I think I'm going to contact somebody from the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation to see if they'd suggest anybody in particular. They were a tremendous help in the months after the injury, and they must run into this problem often.

If you are in the US, you may be able to find out what help resources are available by dialing 211 on your phone. They should be able to let you know of some resources that may be of help.

www.211.org

What are the signs that my mother may have a mental health issue?

Some common signs that may indicate a mental health issue in your mother include changes in behavior or mood, difficulty coping with everyday tasks, social isolation, and changes in sleeping or eating patterns.

What steps can I take to help my mother if she is struggling with her mental health?

If you are concerned about your mother's mental health, it is important to approach the situation with kindness and understanding. Encourage her to seek professional help and offer to support her in finding a therapist or counselor. You can also educate yourself about her specific condition and how you can best support her.

How can I talk to my mother about her mental health without making her feel judged or defensive?

It can be difficult to broach the topic of mental health with a loved one, especially if they are resistant to seeking help. It is important to approach the conversation with compassion and empathy, and to avoid using accusatory language. Focus on expressing your concerns and offering support, rather than trying to diagnose or fix the problem.

What are some resources for family members of individuals with mental health issues?

There are many organizations and support groups specifically for family members of individuals with mental health issues. These groups can provide valuable information, resources, and a supportive community. You can also reach out to your loved one's therapist or doctor for recommendations on resources.

How can I take care of my own mental health while supporting my mother?

Caring for a loved one with a mental health issue can be emotionally taxing, so it is important to prioritize your own mental health as well. This may include seeking support from friends or family, practicing self-care activities, and seeking therapy for yourself if needed. Remember that you cannot pour from an empty cup, so taking care of yourself is crucial in order to effectively support your mother.