Question About Asperger Syndrome

by lisab
Tags: asperger, syndrome
Share this thread:
zoobyshoe
Jul12-12, 07:41 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by Darwin123 View Post
Of course, I am not really good with intuition. I pretty much fit the current diagnostic criteria for Aspergers like a glove. However, I know deadpan humor. I use it a lot. This is part of an overall passive-aggressive strategy. Some people like dead pan humor, and some people don't. However, I thought recognizing dead pan humor was the one emotional judgement that I was good at.
It's my experience that Aspies don't get dean pan humor at first, but that once they get it they're very good at it and even enthusiastic about it. There's a prevalent rumor I've never been able to confirm that Dan Ackroyd has Asperger's. If it's true, it certainly blows the "they don't get humor" meme to hell. For that reason, I've always hoped it was true.
I like Serena
Jul13-12, 02:12 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,187
I suspect I'd be diagnosed with Asperger if I'd do a test.
People around me believe I would.
However, it's only conjecture.

I do know that when young I did not do well socially and was very late to develop.
Since I'm reasonably smart, I've learned how to recognize social patterns and can act accordingly.
For instance, I do get deadpan humor (although I feel it is really something I've learned rather than really getting it).
Connecting to people has always been difficult for me though, and I know my interests lie in a pretty narrow band, which makes it that much harder to connect.

I know a couple of dyslexics, but I have no problem with them at all.
They know their problems and they accept that.
If I can help them in any way, I will, and they (at least the people I know) know that.
I can accept that I'm not really good with people - at least not in intimate relations (IRL).
They don't mind that.
That's just the way I am.

As I've understood it, Asperger is only diagnosed in childhood, when children show they have problems.
Adults have it too, but they have usually learned how to cope with it, one way or another.
As a result they (like me) usually don't do tests that would perhaps diagnose them with Asperger.
MojoMcGunner
Oct24-12, 12:00 PM
P: 11
Quote Quote by AnTiFreeze3 View Post
You could examine how well people around here get along, seeing as how most of the people here are convinced that they have Asperger's, or some other disease that makes them antisocial.
Asperger's is a disease? That's news to me.
Pythagorean
Oct24-12, 01:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Quote Quote by MojoMcGunner View Post
Asperger's is a disease? That's news to me.
Most call it a disorder or a syndrome, since it is defined by behavior in DSM. However, from a neuroscience point of view, it's thought to be caused by abnormal cell migration, overconnectivity, and/or cell morphology during development.

In particular, it tends to lead to an over-functioning of low-level tasks and an under-functioning of high-level tasks, which is why it's crippling to context-sensitive processing, such as in social situations, but also has the benefit of allowing one to focus on details and patterns as they are not being "distracted" by contextual cues.
Andre
Oct24-12, 02:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Aspergers or not, maybe things are just much more complicated. Today I learned about Sensory processing disorder as it may seem that my grandson shares some symptoms of those and quite strongly so. Some of these are also suggested to be asperger traits (mix up?). That makes things very complex, I would think
Evo
Oct24-12, 02:59 PM
Mentor
P: 26,522
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Aspergers or not, maybe things are just much more complicated. Today I learned about Sensory processing disorder as it may seem that my grandson shares some symptoms of those and quite strongly so. Some of these are also suggested to be asperger traits (mix up?). That makes things very complex, I would think
That's very sad Andre, are they watching Myrtle closely for early signs that she's not making normal progression? Or is this something that can't be determined until the child is a few years old, due to normal varying progession levels in very early childhood?
Andre
Oct24-12, 03:20 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
That's very sad Andre, are they watching Myrtle closely for early signs that she's not making normal progression? Or is this something that can't be determined until the child is a few years old, due to normal varying progession levels in very early childhood?
A doc just mentioned it yesterday and it makes sense. Anyway, Myrthe is completely different, I'd be very surprised if she had it.

Register to reply