Is every one playing a joke on me? PDE solution question

• Thread starter knockout_artist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the author talks about PDEs and how they separate variables, and how solutions are found using various ODEs. The author mentions that one way to obtain the result is to multiply both sides of the equation by 2x'.
knockout_artist
Ok I have read/browse 3 books so far about PDEs.

They separate variables. Then they suddenly go.

solution is

X=
some thing sin
some thing cos

Y=
some thing -ek
some thing ek

Where do sine and cos comes from ?
How do they know?? where is it explained?

Physics news on Phys.org
After they separate variables,
you get several ODEs.
What are these ODEs?
Do you recognize the ODEs?
Is one of them a harmonic oscillator equation?
(Do you know the Euler identity, relating sin and cos to exp?)

The one I mentioned above was heat equation.

V2T = 0 (heat equation)

become this
X" = -k2X (k power 2)
Y" = k2y (k power 2)

Then it say solution of this equation is X= sin kx
cos kx

Y= e ky (e power ky)
e -ky (e power -ky)

And yes I do know Euler's

ei@ =cos@ + i sin@ ( @ = theta)

As robphy indicates, it's likely the author simply regards these as well known solutions.
One way to obtain the result is to multiply both sides of the equation by 2x':
2 x''.x' = -2k x.x'
Integrating:
x'^2 = -kx^2 + c
x' = sqrt(c-kx^2)
The RHS immediately suggests the substitution x = (sqrt(c/k)) sin @

You need to study ODEs before you study PDEs. These are simple examples of linear ODEs with constant coefficients. A book on PDEs shouldn't need to explain how to solve them.

As indicated above, you have to understand how to solve ODEs to understand PDEs. Those two solutions are really the most common form that you should have seen when studying ODEs.

The only reason I'm adding anything to this is that at first I thought your question was going to be how all of a sudden they threw a hyperbolic sine or cosine at you when you expected a solution of the form you already listed. That's when you'll have to realize that there are many solutions to your ODEs and picking the correct ones can simplify soliving your PDEs significantly.

Just a heads up so that you don't immediately come running back when they show you different solutions to the same ODEs that you'd been using.

Thank you S-happens, haruspex, robphy.

I look into it.

I did read ODEs a little, I think I must have missed stuff.

test.

1. What is a PDE solution?

A PDE solution refers to the solution of a partial differential equation (PDE). A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. Solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation, often with specific boundary conditions.

2. What is the relevance of PDE solutions?

PDE solutions have many applications in science and engineering, including modeling physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in financial modeling, image processing, and machine learning.

3. How do scientists solve PDEs?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, including analytical methods (using mathematical techniques to find exact solutions) and numerical methods (approximating solutions using computers). The choice of method depends on the complexity of the PDE and the desired level of accuracy.

4. Is it possible for PDE solutions to be incorrect?

Yes, it is possible for PDE solutions to be incorrect. This can happen due to errors in the initial conditions, boundary conditions, or the solution method used. It is important for scientists to carefully check and validate their solutions to ensure their accuracy.

5. How do PDE solutions relate to the question of whether everyone is playing a joke on me?

PDE solutions have no direct relation to this question. PDEs are a well-studied and established area of mathematics and science, and their solutions are based on rigorous logical and mathematical principles. This question is better suited for psychology or philosophy, and should not be attributed to PDE solutions or the scientific community.