Separation of variables - Getting the Fourier coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about finding an expression for the coefficients ##C_{m,n}## in the solution $$u(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{m,n}\cdot e^{-(m^2+n^2)\cdot t} \cdot \sin(m \cdot x) \cdot \cos(n \cdot y)$$ with ##(x,y,t) \in (0,\pi) \times (0,\pi) \times (0,\infty)##. The speaker is attempting to use the Fourier Transform to find the coefficients, but notes that this approach seems odd. Another speaker suggests that the coefficients
NicolaiTheDane
TL;DR Summary
Using separation of variables I have found a Fourier series to solve a PDE. How do I find the coefficients?
Hey there!

I am current taking an introductory course on PDE's, and our professor hasn't really emphasized last part of solutions from separation of variables. Now its not strictly going to be on the exam, however I remember doing this with ease a few years back, but for some reason now I simply cannot recall, or translate my books explanation into action. This below is the solution

$$u(x,y,t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}C_{m,n}\cdot e^{-(m^2+n^2)\cdot t} \cdot \sin(m \cdot x) \cdot \cos(n \cdot y)$$

with ##(x,y,t) \in (0,\pi) \times (0,\pi) \times (0,\infty)##. I need an expression for ##C_{m,n}##, which seems pretty clear to me is the Fourier Coefficients. My attempt is to use the Fourier Transform:
$$C_{m,n}=\frac{1}{\pi} \cdot \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1}{\pi} \cdot \int_{0}^{\pi}u(x,y,t) \cdot e^{-i \cdot m \cdot x} \cdot e^{-i \cdot n \cdot y} dydx$$
However this seems odd. Can someone enlighten me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your coefficients ##C_{n,m}## cannot depend on time. You need to use the initial condition to fix them.

Interesting, as the assignment I'm doing atm, askes for en expression of for ##C_{m,n}##, before going on to ask for the use of initial conditions in a later sub assignment. If I had taking time into account. Then what do I do?

I think there's a typo in your expression for ##u## since ##y## does not appear in the RSH. Could you post the problem that you're working on?

It's possible that you're looking for a solution of the form ##\sum_{n,m} c_{nm}(t)X_n(x)Y_m(y)## but in the expression that you have, it looks likely that the ##c_{nm}## are constants since a typical function of ##t## already appears.

Infrared said:
I think there's a typo in your expression for ##u## since ##y## does not appear in the RSH. Could you post the problem that you're working on?

It's possible that you're looking for a solution of the form ##\sum_{n,m} c_{nm}(t)X_n(x)Y_m(y)## but in the expression that you have, it looks likely that the ##c_{nm}## are constants since a typical function of ##t## already appears.

Yes I have made a correction. There should be a y in the cos function. ##C_{m,n}## shouldn't just look like it, they are constants, depending entirely on n and m. Also that is the problem I'm working on.

EDIT: If you wanted the original, problem here it is:
1576613917629.png

Last edited:

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations by breaking them down into simpler, ordinary differential equations. This allows for easier integration and finding solutions to the original equation.

2. How does separation of variables relate to Fourier coefficients?

Separation of variables is often used to find the Fourier coefficients of a function. By separating the variables in a partial differential equation, it is possible to find the Fourier series representation of the solution. This series includes the Fourier coefficients, which represent the amplitude of each frequency component in the original function.

3. What are Fourier coefficients used for?

Fourier coefficients are used to represent a function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies. This representation is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing, image processing, and solving differential equations.

4. How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the original function with respect to the variable of interest. The integral is then divided by the period of the function to obtain the Fourier coefficient for that particular frequency component.

5. What is the significance of the Fourier coefficients?

The Fourier coefficients represent the contribution of each frequency component to the overall function. This allows for the analysis and manipulation of functions in terms of their frequency components, making it a powerful tool in many areas of science and engineering.