Register to reply

Evaluating high-degree polynomials

by Undoubtedly0
Tags: evaluating, highdegree, polynomials
Share this thread:
Undoubtedly0
Nov9-12, 07:45 AM
P: 94
Hi all. I am trying to evaluate high-degree Chebyshev polynomials of the first kind. It is well known that for each Chebyshev polynomial [itex]T_n[/itex], if [tex]-1\le x\le1[/tex] then

[tex]-1\le T_n(x)\le 1[/tex]

However, when I try to evaluate a Chebyshev polynomial of a high degree, such as [itex]T_{60}[/itex], MATLAB gives results that do not stay within these bounds. I assume this is due to a lack of precision. Any suggestions?

As an example, try

>> x = 0.9;
>> p60 = ChebyshevPoly(60);
>> polyval(p60,x)

ans =

-1.4447e+04
where ChebyshevPoly() comes from mathworks.com.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
coalquay404
Nov9-12, 10:56 AM
P: 218
First off, that file isn't from the Mathworks; it's a user submission to the Matlab File Exchange. As you've learned, anything you get from there should be treated with suspicion until it's known to be good.

You're also correct that this is a precision issue. The first few terms in the 60-degree polynomial are

[tex]1 - 1800 x^2 + 539400 x^4 - 64440320 x^6 + \cdots[/tex]

That Matlab file, however, thinks that there are lots of vanishing coefficients where in fact there shouldn't be. You can see this for yourself by running
ChebyshevPoly(60) < eps
and looking for the zeros.

You could try writing the routine yourself; a look at numerical recipes suggests it isn't that hard.
Undoubtedly0
Nov9-12, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the response, coalquay404. I think the command you meant to use was

abs(ChebyshevPoly(60)) < eps
I have previously written my own coefficient generator, but achieved only the same bad results. Any thoughts?

uart
Nov10-12, 04:24 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,751
Evaluating high-degree polynomials

Quote Quote by Undoubtedly0 View Post
Thanks for the response, coalquay404. I think the command you meant to use was

abs(ChebyshevPoly(60)) < eps
I have previously written my own coefficient generator, but achieved only the same bad results. Any thoughts?
Yes, that's what I'd expect. Take a look at the coefficients of [itex]T_{60}[/itex] and you'll see they go as high as ~3x10^21 (and as low as -3x10^21). Evaluating the polynomial will involve differences of very large numbers of this sort of magnitude, so with double precision only extending to about 15 significant figures, it's not surprising that you're getting erratic results.

You'll probably get "ok" results (correct to several significant digits) if the coefficients don't exceed about the +/- 10^12 range. I just checked T35 for example, and the coefficients extend to about +/- 2.4x10^12 and got the following results.

Matlab polyval(T35,0.9) returned 0.99689, while cos(35*acos(0.9)) returned 0.99696, which agrees, but only to 3 (nearly 4) significant digits.
Undoubtedly0
Nov10-12, 04:25 PM
Thanks uart. Through what you said I have realized that it would far far easier to simply evaluate the polynomials using the cosine-arcosine property, rather than evaluating the polynomials directly. Thanks!

Register to reply