What is the Solution to the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem?

In summary: If ##x## is a complex number and ##y## is an imaginary number, then:\[\sum_{r=0}^n \cos(2r\theta) = 1+\cos(2\theta)+\cos(4\theta)+...+\cos(2n\theta).\]
Muh. Fauzi M.
This is something Chebyshev polynomial problems. I need to show that:

##\sum_{r=0}^{n}T_{2r}(x)=\frac{1}{2}\big ( 1+\frac{U_{2n+1}(x)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\big )##

by using two type of solution :
##T_n(x)=\cos(n \cos^{-1}x)## and ##U_n(x)=\sin(n \cos^{-1}x)## with ##x=\cos\theta##,

I have form the complex superposition:

##T_n(x)+iU_n(x)=(x+i\sqrt{1-x^2})^n##

and expand it by binomial theorem to get :

##T_n(x)=x^n-\dbinom{n}{2}x^{n-2}(1-x^2)+\dbinom{n}{4}x^{n-4}(1-x^2)^2-...##

and

##U_n(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}\big[ \dbinom{n}{1}x^{n-1}-\dbinom{n}{3}(1-x^2)+... \big]##

I try to change ##T_n(x)## to ##T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_n(x)## to ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, but still stuck and can't solve the problem.

Any one can help solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Muh. Fauzi M. said:
This is something Chebyshev polynomial problems. I need to show that:

##\sum_{r=0}^{n}T_{2r}(x)=\frac{1}{2}\big ( 1+\frac{U_{2n+1}(x)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\big )##

by using two type of solution :
##T_n(x)=\cos(n \cos^{-1}x)## and ##U_n(x)=\sin(n \cos^{-1}x)## with ##x=\cos\theta##,

I have form the complex superposition:

##T_n(x)+iU_n(x)=(x+i\sqrt{1-x^2})^n##

and expand it by binomial theorem to get :

##T_n(x)=x^n-\dbinom{n}{2}x^{n-2}(1-x^2)+\dbinom{n}{4}x^{n-4}(1-x^2)^2-...##

and

##U_n(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}\big[ \dbinom{n}{1}x^{n-1}-\dbinom{n}{3}(1-x^2)+... \big]##

I try to change ##T_n(x)## to ##T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_n(x)## to ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, but still stuck and can't solve the problem.

Any one can help solve this?
Note that ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x) = \sum_{r=0}^n \cos(2 r \theta)##, where ##x = \cos(\theta)##. Can you evaluate that last summation?

Ray Vickson said:
Note that ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x) = \sum_{r=0}^n \cos(2 r \theta)##, where ##x = \cos(\theta)##. Can you evaluate that last summation?
Thanks for your respond. I've made it by choosing an arbitrary ##n## and then evaluate both ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, for example ##n=1##, and, voila... :woot:

Muh. Fauzi M. said:
Thanks for your respond. I've made it by choosing an arbitrary ##n## and then evaluate both ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)## and ##U_{2n+1}(x)##, for example ##n=1##, and, voila... :woot:

How did you evaluate ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)##? For example, are you able to evaluate this for ##n = 10,000## or ##n = 5,000,000##? The problem requires that you do it for all possible finite values of ##n##.

Ray Vickson said:
How did you evaluate ##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)##? For example, are you able to evaluate this for ##n = 10,000## or ##n = 5,000,000##? The problem requires that you do it for all possible finite values of ##n##.
I see mr. that's my problem actually. But for accomplishing an assignment in the short of time, I fall to just using a deductive reasoning.
Well, let use your advice, so
##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)=\sum_{r=0}^n\cos(2r\theta)=1+\cos(2\theta)+\cos(4\theta)+...+\cos(2n\theta)##
Then... Can't see the pattern.

Muh. Fauzi M. said:
I see mr. that's my problem actually. But for accomplishing an assignment in the short of time, I fall to just using a deductive reasoning.
Well, let use your advice, so
##\sum_{r=0}^n T_{2r}(x)=\sum_{r=0}^n\cos(2r\theta)=1+\cos(2\theta)+\cos(4\theta)+...+\cos(2n\theta)##
Then... Can't see the pattern.

See. eg., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cosine.html

1. What is the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem?

The Chebyshev Polynomial Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the minimum value of a polynomial function over a given interval. It is named after Russian mathematician Pafnuty Chebyshev, who first described the problem in 1854.

2. What is the significance of the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem?

The Chebyshev Polynomial Problem has significant applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to model and optimize various real-world systems, such as control systems, signal processing, and financial portfolios.

3. How is the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem solved?

The Chebyshev Polynomial Problem can be solved using various techniques, such as the Chebyshev approximation method, the Remez algorithm, and the Bernstein-Bezier algorithm. These methods involve finding the roots and extrema of the polynomial function over the given interval.

4. What are the advantages of using Chebyshev polynomials?

Chebyshev polynomials have several advantages in solving the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem. They have a simple and efficient recursive formula, they provide a good approximation for a wide range of functions, and they have a small error compared to other polynomial approximation methods.

5. Are there any limitations to the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem?

One limitation of the Chebyshev Polynomial Problem is that it can only approximate continuous functions. It may also have difficulty in accurately approximating functions with sharp discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as the degree of the polynomial increases.