Calculating required pressure to maintain flowrate

by bugatti79
Tags: flowrate, maintain, pressure, required
Share this thread:
bugatti79
Nov7-12, 01:22 PM
P: 660
Folks,

I seek just a very rudimentary idea of what pressure is required to pump oil through a very small hole of 1mm diameter to maintain a flow rate of 0.5L/min. See attached.

I would imagine that under gravity that the flow rate would be very low because of the viscosity of the oil thus to maintain a this flow rate significant pressure would be required to push it through. Lets assume the oil container bore is 10mm diameter.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0131.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
darkside00
Nov7-12, 03:20 PM
P: 83
Can treat it like a restriction orifice. It will consider the discharge coefficients depending on thickness, viscosity, temperatures, diameters, reynolds #, etc. to give more accurate #'s

The head pressure required might make your container quite high?
bugatti79
Nov9-12, 12:36 PM
Quote Quote by darkside00 View Post
Can treat it like a restriction orifice. It will consider the discharge coefficients depending on thickness, viscosity, temperatures, diameters, reynolds #, etc. to give more accurate #'s

The head pressure required might make your container quite high?
Well I have come across this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice...ugh_an_orifice

but it is only for inviscid flow, I am interested in viscous flow like oil. I guess a simple hand calculation is not possible...?
Basically I would like to argue the point that a very large pressure pump would be required to pump oil through a 1mm diameter at a rateof 500ml/min....

Vadar2012
Nov11-12, 11:36 PM
P: 208
Calculating required pressure to maintain flowrate

I think you're confusing what is involved in the viscous and invicsous flow assumptions. Any value of viscocity is going to make a contribution to the shear forces at the wall due to viscosity of the fluid. Making the assumption of inviscid flow depends on what area of the flow you are interested in. If you're after a value inside the boundary layer, close to the wall, then you might need equations to describe viscid flow. Otherwise their contributions to the flow somewhere else is usually negligible in problems like this one.

It really depends on the Reynolds number of the flow. For example, Air at high speeds is going to have more of an effect on the flow than oil at low speeds, even though oil has a much higher value than air.
bugatti79
Nov12-12, 01:18 PM
Quote Quote by bugatti79 View Post
Folks,

I seek just a very rudimentary idea of what pressure is required to pump oil through a very small hole of 1mm diameter to maintain a flow rate of 0.5L/min. See attached.

I would imagine that under gravity that the flow rate would be very low because of the viscosity of the oil thus to maintain a this flow rate significant pressure would be required to push it through. Lets assume the oil container bore is 10mm diameter.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Quote Quote by Vadar2012 View Post
I think you're confusing what is involved in the viscous and invicsous flow assumptions. Any value of viscocity is going to make a contribution to the shear forces at the wall due to viscosity of the fluid. Making the assumption of inviscid flow depends on what area of the flow you are interested in. If you're after a value inside the boundary layer, close to the wall, then you might need equations to describe viscid flow. Otherwise their contributions to the flow somewhere else is usually negligible in problems like this one.

It really depends on the Reynolds number of the flow. For example, Air at high speeds is going to have more of an effect on the flow than oil at low speeds, even though oil has a much higher value than air.
Well I would be interested in low speeds,so it looks like a simple hand calculation is not possible?
darkside00
Nov12-12, 10:30 PM
P: 83
For a simple/rough and incompressible calculation using bernoullis principle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

E.g. (v1^2)/2 + g*z1 + P1/p = (v2^2)/2 + g*z2 + P2/p

This obviously ignores the losses but gives an idea. Also, assuming your pouring to atmosphere and using conservation of energy to get the initial velocity (pVA)in=(pVA)out

Register to reply