How to maintain flowrate and pressure head in a pump?

Nitheeswar
Pump is supply fluid to the 35 nozzles through 3 inch pipe and manifold.At nozzle the pressure is 32 m and pressure at pump outlet is 30 m .The flow rate required at nozzles is 500 lpm. Pump can deliver 860 lpm at 24 m head.pump size 100x100 mm
1)how delivary pipe size affects the pressure head?
2)how required flow rate is maintained?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have any ideas about how it works?

Likes russ_watters and gmax137
@Nitheeswar 's Reply.
Yes, we developed it, the pump is capable of delivering 860 lpm at 24 m head, we are maintaining pump delivary pressure 32m and we are getting 30 pressure at nozzles.we only considered pressure .Required flowrate is maintained by designing nozzle . But pump is delivering around 600 lpm more volume and nozzle is delivering less volume 500 lpm.what is effect of remaining volume?

Likes russ_watters
Your pump performance spec is probably at operation point of best efficiency (BEP). The actual pump curve is something like the following (red line). The purple lines are two theoretical system curves. ##S_1## is less restrictive than ##S_2##.

1712509496696.png

But pump is delivering around 600 lpm more volume and nozzle is delivering less volume 500 lpm.what is effect of remaining volume?
This part of the reply does not make sense to me. Show us a simple diagram of the piping system.

Likes russ_watters
Thread unlocked and moved to the ME forum for now.

berkeman said:
Thread unlocked and moved to the ME forum for now.
Did I do something? The OP replied to me privately, I just copied that here and it got locked.

No, you did nothing wrong. There was an account issue with the OP, where they had started multiple accounts while trying to register here at PF. We just needed to clear that all up. :smile:

Likes erobz
IMG_20240409_074602.jpg

Let say pump is delivering 650 lpm at 32 m
What is the delivary that I get in nozzles?

Nitheeswar said:
What is the delivary that I get in nozzles?
650 lpm. The flow is incompressible. Unless you are not showing a branch in the network that the takes flow somewhere else, or a portion of the flow is accumulating somewhere that is not shown…the answer is 650 lpm.

But the nozzle is designed as at 30 m it can supply only 15 lpm , for all nozzles it is 500 lpm, so the nozzles supply 500 lpm

I have shown side view the nozzles are connected to tube which is connected to manifold

Nitheeswar said:
But the nozzle is designed as at 30 m it can supply only 15 lpm , for all nozzles it is 500 lpm, so the nozzles supply 500 lpm
I don’t know what to tell you. What does your performance curve for the pump tell you the output is supposed to be at approximately 32 meters differential? To that point about the differential pressure, what is the pressure measure on the pump inlet?

erobz said:
I don’t know what to tell you. What does your performance curve for the pump tell you the output is supposed to be at approximately 32 meters differential? To that point about the differential pressure, what is the pressure measure on the pump inlet?
650 lpm

What are the inlet conditions of the pump? You just have a box drawn. Is it a tank?

650 lpm at 32 m pump outlet

erobz said:
What are the inlet conditions of the pump? You just have a box drawn. Is it a tank?
Inlet is connected to tank

Nitheeswar said:
650 lpm at 32 m pump outlet
I asked what is the head at the inlet of the pump, not the discharge. It’s the differential pressure that is important, not just a discharge, it’s probably a small correction, but it’s better if you just come out with it.

Nitheeswar said:
Inlet is connected to tank
Then calculate the cross section of the tank, and measure the change in height over some reasonable time interval, see if it’s measuring about 650 lpm.

Another thing: is the fluid water at the temp of the pump curve performance data?

Irrespective of pump output conditions, if we are maintaining pressure 30 m at nozzles, we are getting the 500 lpm, the flowrate only changes if pressure is below 30m

Nitheeswar said:
Irrespective of pump output conditions, if we are maintaining pressure 30 m at nozzles, we are getting the 500 lpm, the flowrate only changes if pressure is below 30m
How do you know what you are getting at the nozzles. Are you catching it in a bucket?

erobz said:
How do you know what you are getting at the nozzles. Are you catching it in a bucket?
Yes we measured for a minute

Nitheeswar said:
Yes we measured for a minute
all of them together??Or just 1 nozzle multiplied by 30?

Just one nozzle multiplied by 30

Nitheeswar said:
Just one nozzle multiplied by 30
Bad idea, they are all going to be different.

like I said, measure the inlet tank change in volume over a minute.

So,Irrespective of nozzle design, we will get the delivary what pump is capable of delivering

Nitheeswar said:
So,Irrespective of nozzle design, we will get the delivary what pump is capable of delivering
Yes. But If you take some nozzles out ( blocking them) the purple curve I show gets steeper, reducing the flow rate of the pump. But… with an incompressible flow and no place for flow to go elsewhere…what goes in must come out. That is that.

You need to give me the inlet conditions ( head), tank fluid, temperate, and a pump curve would be nice. There are too many paths to take with this little bit of info to troubleshoot.

erobz said:
You need to give me the inlet conditions ( head), tank fluid, temperate, and a pump curve would be nice. There are too many paths to take with this little bit of info to troubleshoot.
On second thought, just tell me about the fluid properties, no need to tell me what’s it is exactly. Your pump performance curve is tested with water(likely) . If the fluid has a viscosity different from water the performance curve could need adjustment.

To get the inlet conditions without a guage, need to know the tank water height and where the pump is physically placed relative to the water level.

The relative height between pump and water level in tank is 1.6 m

Nitheeswar said:
The relative height between pump and water level in tank is 1.6 m
Ok, so subtract 1.6 m from 32m. Your differential is about 30.4 m. What flow rate does your pump curve suggest it is running at 30.4 m?

We are using old pump, there are no pump curve for that. It has only head range and flow rate at particular lpm.please find attached image
IMG_20230912_154535.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitheeswar said:
We are using old pump, there are no pump curve for that. It has only head range and flow rate at particular lpm.please find attached image
If your tank has a regular cross-sectional area its a simple matter to determine the average flow rate. You mark the top of the water, let it run for a minute (if tank capacity permits). And measure the height again.

$$ \bar Q = \frac{A_{tank} \Delta h }{ \Delta t } $$

Since you don't have a pump curve, or cant find one. Its old, perhaps modified from nameplate. It would be a challenge to verify its performance with so little information. As far as I can tell you are already operating outside of nameplate head range.

Last edited: