Questions about Pressure and a nozzle

In summary: So, with a single nozzle, it might be more difficult to cover the entire area. And if the material is harder to clean, then I might need more nozzles to cover the entire area.In summary, using multiple nozzles will clean the pallet faster, but you will need a larger pump and more piping to maintain the same performance.
motomage
Good day everyone. I have a few question that I would like to confirm. Currently I am doing a project that rinses a plastic pallet.
The type of nozzle I am looking at is a 65 degree full cone nozzle. Pressure = 0.7 MPa. Flowrate = 3.88 lpm.
Pallet size is 1300mm x 1300mm x 100mm.

Q1. Is it better to have more nozzles with smaller coverage or lesser nozzles with bigger coverage ?
I think the way to go is to have fewer nozzle with bigger coverage. More nozzles would means that I would need a bigger power pump to sustain all the nozzles? And also more maintenance required.

Q2. Let say I have 9 nozzles, I will need to get a pump capable of pumping a flow rate of 3.88x9 =34.92lpm to maintain the 0.7 MPa in each nozzle, yes?

Q3. Is there anyway to determine the impact force and reach of the nozzle ? Like after a x distance how much pressure/force am I actually getting.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Q1. Clearly, multiple nozzles will clean faster; but only if they are properly spaced with a well designed piping manifold for covering the area of the pallet.
Another consideration is the properties of the material being cleaned from the pallet(s). The more difficult the material is to remove the more critical it will be to use a well spaced set of multiple nozzles to get equal cleaning force across the the full surface of the pallet(s).

Q2. Yes, you will need a larger capacity pump in order for each of the multiple nozzles to deliver the same performance as a single nozzle. In addition to the need for a larger pump for equal nozzle performance (flow and pressure) you may also need a larger diameter piping system feeding the nozzles.

Q3. For a straight discharge stream nozzle, as long as the distance from the nozzle(s) is not very long, the impact pressure at the point of contact on the pallet will be roughly equal to the inlet pressure to each nozzle; however, in order to get good coverage you may want to use some form of a conical nozzle design. One advantage of a multiple nozzle array is that you can still get good coverage,even if the distance from the nozzles to the pallet surface very short. For answers regarding actual nozzle performance it is best to contact a nozzle suppler, they will be best suited to assist you with the specifics of the best selection of nozzle design, nozzle spacing vs nozzle discharge pattern vs nozzle height,etc for a multiple nozzle arrangement.

Addendum to my above post.

After thinking about the issue I think a possibly better, simpler and less expensive solution for cleaning the pallets might be to use a single line of fan pattern nozzles and move the pallet being cleaned thru the spray line at an appropriate speed on a set rollers.

There are many concerns when specifying a spraying system for cleaning - direction of the stream, droplet size, flow rate, etc. I suggest that you contact an application engineer at Spraying Systems Company, www.spray.com. I have used a number of their products, and they performed as advertised.

JBA said:
Q1. Clearly, multiple nozzles will clean faster; but only if they are properly spaced with a well designed piping manifold for covering the area of the pallet.
Another consideration is the properties of the material being cleaned from the pallet(s). The more difficult the material is to remove the more critical it will be to use a well spaced set of multiple nozzles to get equal cleaning force across the the full surface of the pallet(s).

Q2. Yes, you will need a larger capacity pump in order for each of the multiple nozzles to deliver the same performance as a single nozzle. In addition to the need for a larger pump for equal nozzle performance (flow and pressure) you may also need a larger diameter piping system feeding the nozzles.

Q3. For a straight discharge stream nozzle, as long as the distance from the nozzle(s) is not very long, the impact pressure at the point of contact on the pallet will be roughly equal to the inlet pressure to each nozzle; however, in order to get good coverage you may want to use some form of a conical nozzle design. One advantage of a multiple nozzle array is that you can still get good coverage,even if the distance from the nozzles to the pallet surface very short. For answers regarding actual nozzle performance it is best to contact a nozzle suppler, they will be best suited to assist you with the specifics of the best selection of nozzle design, nozzle spacing vs nozzle discharge pattern vs nozzle height,etc for a multiple nozzle arrangement.

The good thing is that the material that is being clean or clear is not really hard to remove. Can I say that a larger diameter piping system purpose is to maintain the pressure and flowrate?

JBA said:
Addendum to my above post.

After thinking about the issue I think a possibly better, simpler and less expensive solution for cleaning the pallets might be to use a single line of fan pattern nozzles and move the pallet being cleaned thru the spray line at an appropriate speed on a set rollers.

Yes, this was what I proposed at first. Sadly, there's a space constraint, I am limited to pushing and pulling the pallet into the washer manually. :\

Thank you sir! Your input is greatly appreciated!

jrmichler said:
There are many concerns when specifying a spraying system for cleaning - direction of the stream, droplet size, flow rate, etc. I suggest that you contact an application engineer at Spraying Systems Company, www.spray.com. I have used a number of their products, and they performed as advertised.

Right right, will talk to them. Thank god, they have a local rep in my country.
Thanks ya!

Yes, the larger piping diameter will be to maintain flow rate and pressure at the nozzles.

What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied to a given area. In scientific terms, it is defined as the force per unit area.

What is the unit of pressure?

The unit of pressure is typically expressed in pascals (Pa) in the SI system. Other common units include pounds per square inch (psi) and atmospheres (atm).

How does pressure affect a nozzle?

Pressure plays a crucial role in the functioning of a nozzle. As pressure increases, the fluid flow through the nozzle also increases, resulting in a higher velocity and a narrower jet. Conversely, decreasing pressure leads to a lower velocity and a wider jet.

What is the Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This principle is often used to explain the relationship between pressure and velocity in a nozzle.

How does the shape of a nozzle affect pressure?

The shape of a nozzle can greatly impact pressure. A converging nozzle, which narrows in diameter, increases pressure and velocity, while a diverging nozzle, which widens in diameter, decreases pressure and velocity. The shape and design of a nozzle are important factors to consider in specific applications and industries.