by Evo
Tags: evo, fossil, fossils, identification, rock
dlgoff
Nov12-12, 01:08 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Any progress? The bluish greenish hue may indicate copper. Have you considered bornite or maybe chalcite
I need a spectrometer Andre. I did a "flame test" with a propane torch directed on a small area of the edge; no change in flame color.
Andre
Nov12-12, 01:15 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
I need a spectrometer
I just happen to know that Lisab has one; working with it daily.
dlgoff
Nov12-12, 01:28 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
I just happen to know that Lisab has one; working with it daily.
Really? I would send the rock to her if she were interested. What a deal.
dlgoff
Sep14-13, 07:17 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
When I was a kid I, boxed and stored some of my rocks at my parents house. I discovered them a couple of days ago while going through an old shed; hence the bump.

The boxes where still taped as I had left them and since I hadn't seen then for a long time, it was like opening Christmas presents. Here a couple pic I just took.

Evo
Sep14-13, 11:58 PM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Oooh, very nice rocks and fossils!! They are digging near here ( 2 blocks away) and have a mountian of fossil rock and with the cooler weather that's hit, I'm going to go down there and do some fossil picking.
dlgoff
Sep15-13, 02:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Do you know what this fossil is? A plant or a fish?

Evo
Sep15-13, 02:28 PM
Mentor
I'd say definitely a leaf.
dlgoff
Sep15-13, 03:03 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I'd say definitely a leaf.
Thank you.

I have some large petrified bones that came out of the side of the Kansas River bank. I believe they are from a bison; back bones, ribs, and thigh. I need to see if I can find them.
Ms Music
Sep27-13, 06:18 PM
P: 173
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
Lucky!

I have 4 days off work, (Thurs - Sun) so I will either a/ forget this thread completely, or b/ remember and post some pictures. Is it okay to post pictures of collections in this thread even though it is called "fossil and rock IDENTIFICATION"?
Obviously the answer was a/. Forgot this thread completely.

Here is my arrow head. I had leaned down to pick up a flake that I had spotted, then noticed a piece of glass sticking edgewise out of the dirt. I decided it was best to remove the glass and throw it away in a garbage can, so I flicked it out with my fingernail and instead found it to be THIS:

Yes, it is clear.
Evo
Sep27-13, 06:41 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
Obviously the answer was a/. Forgot this thread completely.

Here is my arrow head. I had leaned down to pick up a flake that I had spotted, then noticed a piece of glass sticking edgewise out of the dirt. I decided it was best to remove the glass and throw it away in a garbage can, so I flicked it out with my fingernail and instead found it to be THIS:

Yes, it is clear.
Oh wow!!

The weather is getting cooler and that mountain of fossil rock is calling me. There's a little road that they put a gate across and a "no trespassing' sign, but there's no fence on either side of the gate, so I assume it's ok to just walk into the field where they're bulldozing the rocks into a mountain before they haul it away. I have no intention of going through the gate, that would be wrong. I just know there are some awesome fossils in those rocks.

Register to reply