Getting climate data into the classroom.

In summary, the conversation centered around creating high school labs that incorporate aspects of climate change. The first activity involved graphing various variables over time, and the group was looking for reliable and easy-to-manipulate data sources, such as NASA's Giovanni, NEO, and MY NASA DATA websites. However, there were concerns about students trusting data from the internet and potential computer problems or lack of internet access in schools. There was also discussion about the issue of trust in science and how to address it in the classroom. Suggestions were made to contact NASA and NOAA for data, and it was noted that data taken from the internet should be used carefully and may require a disclaimer.
flatmaster
This discussion varies over many topics, so I'm posting here.

First off, I'm working on a NASA grant. We're doing the "Global Climate Change Education" grant. We are writing high school labs. The basic idea is for the lab to mostly be a typical lab, but have some aspect of climate change be part of the lesson. For example, the module I'm working on has the students discover pressure with depth (pressure=density*g*depth). The twist for this lab is discovering what may happen if sea levels rise. Eventually, they are lead to the conclusion that rising sea levels would increase the pressure of sea water at depth, pushing back fresh water in the water table. However, this is not my problem.

In our first activity, students gain graphing skills by graphing various variables as a function of time. First off, we're looking for good data that is easy to manipulate in excell. We are looking for either monthly or yearly data for...

Temp V Time
Sea Level V Time
Ocean Salinity V Time
polar ice surface area V Time

Secondly, we're looking for a good way to actually give the students the data. First, we are using...

• Giovanni (NASA)
http://disc.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/

• NEO (NASA Earth Observations)
http://neo.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/Search.html

• MY NASA DATA
http://mynasadata.larc.nasa.gov/index.html

Here are our options.

GIVE THE STUDENTS THE WEBSITES...
Students have computer problems.
Not all schools online.
Students surf the web instead of do the lab.
Why should students trust the internet?

GIVE THE STUDENTS THE DATA...
Why should students trust what we give them?
Quickly out-of-date.

So big question is...

What's the easiest place to retrieve accurate climate data that may not be research quality, but is easy to manipulate (in excell) and can be trusted by the students?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Also, let me say that students will be doing all of their graphing and data manipulation in the lab, rather than at home.

Also, there's the issue of trust. I am in an area of the country where many people don't "trust science". How do we tackle this issue if we're sending them to the internet to get data? Coming into the classroom, why should a student trust that the data I give them is accurate?

why worry about trust of data? i would think the idea is teaching kids to evaluate things on their own. then they can rely less on experts and come to their own conclusions.

Flatmaster, we don't allow discussions of climate change here since it cannot be discussed without people getting overly emotional.

As far as data, do you not have a contact at NASA that can sugggest data? NOAA would be a good place to go also for data. I'm sure if you contacted them they would be glad to help with pointing you to the data available.

Here is the link for data requests, including free data.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/mpp/freedata.html

I'm closing this to prevent anyone from accidently posting on climate change.

Last edited:
Data taken from the internet should be used carefully and not used for critical research. A disclaimer and caveats would have to accompany the results.

If data are to be used for critical research, it should be obtained through formal channels which would include some QC.

Related to Getting climate data into the classroom.

1. How can I access climate data for the classroom?

There are several online databases and resources that provide access to climate data, such as NASA's Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Data Online. You can also contact local universities or research institutions for access to their climate data.

2. What type of climate data is most useful for classroom instruction?

The type of climate data most useful for classroom instruction depends on the specific lesson or topic being taught. However, some commonly used types of climate data include temperature, precipitation, wind speed and direction, and sea level. It is important to choose data that is relevant and understandable for your students.

3. How can I incorporate climate data into lesson plans?

There are many ways to incorporate climate data into lesson plans, such as using data to create graphs and visualizations, conducting data analysis activities, and incorporating real-time data into discussions and experiments. You can also use climate data to teach critical thinking and problem-solving skills by having students analyze and interpret the data to draw conclusions.

4. Is there a cost for using climate data in the classroom?

Many online databases and resources provide free access to climate data for educational purposes. However, some may require a subscription or have limitations on the amount of data that can be accessed. It is important to check the terms of use for each resource before using the data in the classroom.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and reliability of climate data for classroom use?

It is important to use reputable sources for climate data, such as government agencies and research institutions. Additionally, when using data from online databases, it is recommended to cross-check the data with other sources to ensure its accuracy. You can also involve students in the process of verifying data by comparing it to their own observations and conducting further research.