Thermodynamics : Work done in Different Processes

In summary, the person needs help with understanding the comparison of work done in different types of thermodynamic processes on gases, specifically in reversible and irreversible processes and in various conditions like isochoric and isobaric. They have searched online but have not found what they are looking for. They are studying Chemistry for JEE and have been recommended to look in the book "Physical Chemistry" by Walter J Moore for relevant examples.
Abhas Gupta
I need some help in thermodynamics (chemistry).

I'm currently studying in class 11th, preparing for IIT-JEE. I am looking for a precise comparison between the work done in different types of thermodynamic processes on gases.

I searched the net a lot for this stuff, but all i got was explanation of processes in different types of systems.
What I am actually looking for is the comparison in magnitudes of work done in expansion/compression of gases in BOTH REVERSIBLE AND IRREVERSIBLE processes in different types of conditions (isochoric, isobaric etc.)

Can someone please help me out? Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Since you are (presumably) studying Chemistry, look in

Physical Chemistry by Walter J Moore

He shows some very good worked chemical examples of exactly the type you request.

It is also a superb physical chemistry textbook for other purposes by the way.

Since I am also preparing for JEE, I am not sure if he'd able to find Walter J Moore here.

yea...nuke's right!

I am happy to help you with your question on thermodynamics and work done in different processes. Thermodynamics is a branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another. In the context of gases, thermodynamics helps us understand the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature.

To understand the work done in different processes, we must first understand the concept of work in thermodynamics. In simple terms, work is defined as the energy transferred when a force acts on a system and causes it to move a certain distance. In the case of gases, work is done when the gas expands or compresses, and its volume changes.

Now, let's look at the different types of thermodynamic processes and the work done in each of them:

1. Isochoric process (constant volume): In this process, the volume of the gas remains constant while the pressure and temperature may change. In an isochoric process, no work is done as there is no change in volume.

2. Isobaric process (constant pressure): In this process, the pressure of the gas remains constant while the volume and temperature may change. In an isobaric process, work is done when the gas expands or compresses against a constant pressure.

3. Isothermal process (constant temperature): In this process, the temperature of the gas remains constant while the pressure and volume may change. In an isothermal process, work is done when the gas expands or compresses against a varying pressure.

4. Adiabatic process (no heat exchange): In this process, there is no heat exchange between the gas and its surroundings. In an adiabatic process, work is done when the gas expands or compresses against a varying pressure.

Now, coming to your question about the comparison of work done in reversible and irreversible processes, it is important to understand the difference between these two types of processes. In a reversible process, the system goes through a series of equilibrium states, meaning the process can be reversed at any point without any change in the system or its surroundings. In contrast, an irreversible process is one in which the system goes through a series of non-equilibrium states, and the process cannot be reversed without causing changes in the system or its surroundings.

In general, the work done in a reversible process is greater than that in an irreversible process. This is because in a reversible process, the system is always in equilibrium, and the work

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, such as work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed from one form to another.

2. What is work in the context of thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another due to a force acting on the system. It is measured in units of joules (J).

3. How is work related to different processes in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work can be done in various processes such as isothermal, adiabatic, and isobaric processes. The amount of work done depends on the type of process and the change in energy of the system.

4. What is the formula for calculating work in different processes?

The formula for calculating work in different processes varies depending on the type of process. In an isothermal process, the formula is W = PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume. In an adiabatic process, the formula is W = (γ/γ-1)(P1V1-P2V2), where γ is the heat capacity ratio, P1 and P2 are the initial and final pressures, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes. In an isobaric process, the formula is W = PΔV, where P is the constant pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

5. What is the significance of work done in different processes in thermodynamics?

The work done in different processes is significant as it helps us understand the changes in energy and properties of a system. It also helps in determining the efficiency of a process and can be used to calculate other thermodynamic quantities such as heat and internal energy.