Graph of several thermodynamic processes

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter tellmesomething
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermodynamics
tellmesomething
Homework Statement
Graph these processes on a PV graph : Isothermal expansion from state A to B, isochoric pressure increment from B to C,
isothermal contraction from C to D, isobaric contraction from D to A.
Relevant Equations
!!!
I graphed it similar to this

IMG_20240314_204917.jpg

My query is say if the last process wasn't mentioned, I.e the process from A TO D, would the state D have the same pressure as state A then? In thermodynamics for a reversible system we say that if it undergoes a change in pressure volume the exact pressure and volume can he achieved when we reverse it, considering the temperature is constant. But here since we underwent an isochoric process from B to C and then reversed it, would it have ended at the same pressure of A if not for the last condition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you post the picture you intended to post?
I see the arrows going in the wrong direction, isochoric (at the same volume) and isobaric (at the same pressure) misinterpreted, etc...

BvU said:
I see the arrows going in the wrong direction, isochoric (at the same volume) and isobaric (at the same pressure) misinterpreted, etc...
Oh, sorry my question is typed wrong

[Post edited by a Mentor]

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU said:
All fixed! Please give it another read i interchanged D & B by mistake

BvU said:
Hi, if you have some free time, please consider clearing my doubt. Thankyou.

Back from a short vacation, but I think we need more expertise. @Chestermiller ?

Likes tellmesomething
Fwiw: CD is an isothermic volume reduction down to a particular pressure. Whoever executes the cycle can choose that pressure; since DA is supposed to be isochoric, the choice of P at A makes sense.

Likes tellmesomething
BvU said:
Back from a short vacation, but I think we need more expertise. @Chestermiller ?
It seems to me the graph in post #1 is correct, except BC should be vertical.

Likes BvU and tellmesomething
BvU said:
Fwiw: CD is an isothermic volume reduction down to a particular pressure. Whoever executes the cycle can choose that pressure; since DA is supposed to be isochoric, the choice of P at A makes sense.
That was the doubt if pressure would have remained the same if the last isochoric condition wasnt there. Got it. thanks

Likes BvU