What are the parameters for an Organic Rankine Cycle waste heat recovery system?

• Thread starter TheBigBiscuit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, Bobby seeks guidance on how to model a waste heat recovery system for a gas engine. He is considering the exhaust gas temperature and the specific heat of the exhaust gas. He is looking for guidance on how to model the process in nature that may apply to his project.
TheBigBiscuit
Hello, I'm new to these forums and hoping I can get some help with a project I'm undertaking in college. The project is to model a waste heat recovery system using an Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC). What I'm currently looking at is my waste heat source (exhaust gas from a natural gas engine). The parameters I'm considered with at present are the exhaust gas temperature and the specific heat of the exhaust gas.
Searching these parameters on the internet provisionally, I seem to be getting exhaust gas temperatures of approximately 1000 Kelvin for a 1.5 MW MAN gas powered engine, and specific heat seems to be between 1 - 1.3 kJ/kgK.
However these sources aren't as reliable as I'd like (not that they aren't accurate, but I'd like a bit more concrete proof or references if that's possible).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I haven't looked at the gas engine side of the project in more detail as it's only the exhaust port of this that concerns the ORC, so it's likely I'm going about it the wrong way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can perfectly check the composition of the exhaust gas and add the heat capacity of the constituents. H2O will increase it over N2. In the maximum case, all O2 burns CH4.

450 to 550 deg C, with a Cp of 1.1 kJ/kg.K in the stack would be a good starting point for a lean burn engine.

TheBigBiscuit, Welcome to Physics Forums!

There may be a process in nature that might apply to your project. May I suggest that you have a look at how birds in frigid climates use a countercurrent heat exchanger between blood vessels in their legs to keep heat concentrated within their bodies? You may be surprised to discover how often some variation of this process is used by modern industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countercurrent_exchange

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thanks for taking time to reply. It's given me some food for thought. I may need to get back to ye at some point but thanks very much for this base.

What is waste heat recovery?

Waste heat recovery is the process of capturing and utilizing excess heat energy that is produced in industrial processes, power generation, and other sources. This heat is typically released into the environment, but with waste heat recovery, it can be harnessed and used for other purposes, such as heating buildings or generating electricity.

Why is waste heat recovery important?

Waste heat recovery offers several benefits, including reducing energy consumption and costs, improving overall energy efficiency, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. It also helps to conserve natural resources and can contribute to a more sustainable future.

How does waste heat recovery work?

Waste heat recovery systems typically use heat exchangers to transfer the captured heat energy to a different medium, such as water or air. This energy can then be used for various purposes, depending on the specific application and technology used.

What are the different types of waste heat recovery systems?

There are several types of waste heat recovery systems, including heat pumps, organic Rankine cycles, and steam turbines. Each system has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications and industries.

What are the potential challenges of waste heat recovery?

Some potential challenges of waste heat recovery include high upfront costs, technical complexities, and the need for specialized equipment and expertise. Additionally, the efficiency of waste heat recovery systems can be affected by factors such as temperature and heat source variability.