Calculating heat recovery from engine exhaust gases

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on waste heat recovery from a gas fuelled engine exhaust, specifically the Jenbacher J620 engine. The data sheet states that the exhaust gas mass flow is 17325 kg/hr and the exhaust gas temperature is 425 degC, with a recoverable thermal output of 3020 kW when reduced to 120 degC. The overall efficiency is calculated to be 86%, but when using the formula Qdot = mdot X CpX delta T, the value only comes to 1688 kW. The speaker believes they may be missing something and suggests consulting the manufacturer of the engine. They also mention the minimum temperature limit and potential damage from sulfuric acid.
LT Judd
TL;DR Summary
I am having trouble calculating the recoverable energy from a gas engine exhaust gas stream . Jenbacher J620 3000kw engine.My figures don't match the makers claims.
Hello,
I am doing a study for my final years Uni project, which includes waste heat recovery from gas fuelled engine exhaust. I am using a data sheet for a Jenbacher J620 engine-.
In the data sheet it is stated that;
exhaust gas mass flow (wet) = 17325 kg hr ( not sure about the wet part?) this becomes 4.81 kg/s
exhaust gas temperature = 425 degC
recoverable thermal output (120 °C) = 3020 kw - I assume that means when exhaust gs is reduced to 120 deg C.

This gives an overall efficiency of 86% (thermal Plus electrical)

However when I apply the formula Qdot = mdot X CpX delta T
I get 4.81 X 1.15 X 305, which only comes to 1688 Kw , about half the claimed value !??
The claimed value doesn’t seem unreasonable because a review of the literature seems to show overall CHP efficiencies of 70-80% are the norm.

I did a mass weighting of different products of combustion of methane and 70% excess air to come up with that Cp,- a bit of a fudge, but its not that much difference to the Cp of straight air at 650K. The Cp would have to be about twice that to match the makers claimed figures for heat recovery.
I must be missing something- but what ??
Gas engine paramaters.JPG
??

Engineering news on Phys.org
LT Judd said:
I must be missing something- but what ??
I would recommend consulting the manufacturer of the engine.
Perhaps they are computing the mechanical work done by the gasses on the turbo.
There is minimum limit to the temperature of the gases, below which sulfuric acid begins to damage the exhaust system and surroundings of the engine.

Probably including all heat recovered from jacket cooling water , lube oil cooler and turbocharger intercooler, in the figure.

1. How is heat recovery calculated from engine exhaust gases?

The heat recovery from engine exhaust gases is calculated by determining the difference between the exhaust gas temperature and the temperature of the cooling medium, such as air or water. This temperature difference, along with the mass flow rate of the exhaust gas, can be used to calculate the amount of heat that can be recovered.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat that can be recovered from engine exhaust gases?

Several factors can affect the amount of heat that can be recovered from engine exhaust gases, including the engine size and type, the exhaust gas temperature and flow rate, and the type of heat recovery system being used. Other factors such as ambient temperature and humidity may also play a role.

3. What is the typical efficiency of a heat recovery system for engine exhaust gases?

The efficiency of a heat recovery system for engine exhaust gases can vary depending on the specific system and conditions, but it is typically in the range of 20-50%. This means that the system is able to recover 20-50% of the heat from the exhaust gases and convert it into usable energy.

4. What are the benefits of using a heat recovery system for engine exhaust gases?

Using a heat recovery system for engine exhaust gases can have several benefits, including reducing fuel consumption and emissions, improving overall engine efficiency, and providing additional energy for other processes or applications. It can also help to reduce operating costs and increase the lifespan of the engine.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to calculating heat recovery from engine exhaust gases?

There are a few limitations and challenges to calculating heat recovery from engine exhaust gases, such as accurately measuring the exhaust gas temperature and flow rate, accounting for variations in operating conditions, and determining the most efficient heat recovery system for a specific engine and application. Additionally, the cost and complexity of implementing a heat recovery system may also be a limiting factor for some engines.