Optimum boiler pressure for Waste heat recovery system

In summary, the boiler will require a pressure of 10 bars to achieve a theoretical thermal efficiency of 23.94%.
Ali Durrani
Hello Guys,
I am a mechanical Engineer working on a semester project, to design a waste heat recovery system for a cement plant Air quenching cooler (AQC). For WHR i have to first design a AQC Boiler.
According to the Data provided by the plant incharge, Air at the exit of cooler has a volume flowrate of 125000m^3 / hour at 320 degree centigrade with the available thermal power of 3.75MW. now for designing boiler i have to assume a pressure, i have searched a lot but i couldn't found specific material about it
please guide me thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Forgive me for asking. Are you qualified to design a boiler? If you were, I don't think you would ask that question.

There are stringent codes and standards for nearly all aspects of boiler design. They leave little freedom to the designer. Have you read them?

They created those codes because so many thousands died from boiler explosions. Often quite talented people designed them, but that doesn't mean that they are expert specifically on boiler design.

Likes berkeman
anorlunda said:
Forgive me for asking. Are you qualified to design a boiler? If you were, I don't think you would ask that question.

There are stringent codes and standards for nearly all aspects of boiler design. They leave little freedom to the designer. Have you read them?

They created those codes because so many thousands died from boiler explosions. Often quite talented people designed them, but that doesn't mean that they are expert specifically on boiler design.
Sorry if i have offended you, i just want to setup a rankine cycle, i am not going to fabricate that, i don't think there is any problem with asking this question, i just want to know what is the usual trend for steam pressure in AQC boilers, because my available thermal energy is quite less so i want to extract maximum out of it.

So what's against picking a pressure, say 10 Bar, and setting up a design ? You'll run into problems with your heat exchanger design if it's too high and can always lower it, or raise it if there's still room. It's a good exercise.

I started at 30 bars, but the cycle efficiency at 30 bars was way lower, the work output was hardly 1.5 MW but lowering boiler pressure up to 10 bars and the theoretical thermal efficiency of the cycle achieved was 23.94 % which is a nice figure for a starter for a waste heat recovery,
Note: this efficiency is based on single pressure steam cycle, i now have to evaluate it for multi-pressure steam cycle by introducing reheating process

Likes BvU

1. What is the optimum boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system?

The optimum boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system will vary depending on the specific system and its design. Generally, a pressure range of 5-15 bar is considered suitable for most waste heat recovery systems.

2. How is the optimum boiler pressure determined for a waste heat recovery system?

The optimum boiler pressure is determined by considering various factors such as the type of waste heat source, the desired steam output, and the efficiency of the heat exchanger. A thorough analysis of these factors can help determine the most suitable pressure for a waste heat recovery system.

3. What are the consequences of using the wrong boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system?

Using the wrong boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system can lead to various issues such as inefficient energy recovery, reduced steam output, and potential damage to the heat exchanger. It is important to ensure that the pressure is carefully selected to maximize the system's performance.

4. Can the optimum boiler pressure change over time for a waste heat recovery system?

Yes, the optimum boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system can change over time. This could be due to changes in the waste heat source, variations in steam demand, or adjustments to the system's design. Regular monitoring and adjustments may be necessary to maintain the optimum pressure for optimal performance.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the optimum boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system?

Yes, safety is an important consideration when determining the optimum boiler pressure for a waste heat recovery system. The pressure should be within the safe operating limits of the boiler and its components. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the system to ensure safe and efficient operation.