Register to reply

Ladder Operators and Dirac as the source.

by TheShrike
Tags: dirac, ladder, operators, source
Share this thread:
TheShrike
Nov16-12, 05:19 AM
P: 44
Hello,

I've read that Dirac introduced the idea of the creation and annihilation operators in the solution to the quantum harmonic oscillator problem, but can anyone tell me where he did this? In a paper, or maybe in a book?

I've had a little search online, but I've yet to discover anything, so I thought I'd check the PF collective in case anyone knew off the top of their head.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
andrien
Nov16-12, 07:16 AM
P: 1,020
you may try 'modern quantum mechanics' by sakurai.
Bill_K
Nov16-12, 11:42 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
The use of raising and lowering operators to solve the harmonic oscillator goes back at least as far as 1930, "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac. See here, on p136.

dextercioby
Nov16-12, 11:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Ladder Operators and Dirac as the source.

Hi Bill, your link is to the 4th edition. One must provide us with the same page (if the same page) from the 1st edition of 1930.
Bill_K
Nov16-12, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Sorry, you're right. The best I can do is confirm that section 41 of the 1st edition is entitled "The Harmonic Oscillator", however the text of it does not seem to be available online.

( copies of the 1st edition sell for ~ $1500!)
dextercioby
Nov16-12, 12:55 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Well, ita, itabar operators make sense only in the bra-ket context and there is no printed version of the bra-ket formalism before his 1930 book (?). Actually, I'm not sure which was the first textbook by another author copying Dirac's bra-ket treatment, but that of course after 1930, perhaps 1940.
TheShrike
Nov17-12, 02:21 PM
P: 44
Consensus seems to be that Dirac introduced them in his textbook on Quantum Mechanics. Ok, cool, thanks very much people.

Register to reply