Obtaining the Dirac function from field operator commutation

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the form $[\Phi(x,t), \dot{\Phi}(y,t) = iZ\delta^3(x-y)]$ from definitions in a QFT course, as well as the use of annihilation and creation operators and the mode expansion in the momentum space. The goal is to reconcile quantum mechanics and special relativity, and the conversation suggests checking the concept of second quantization for more understanding.
abivz
TL;DR Summary
Need help obtaining the Dirac function from the commutation of two field operators
Hi everyone, I'm new to PF and this is my second post, I'm taking a QFT course this semester and my teacher asked us to obtain:
$$[\Phi(x,t), \dot{\Phi}(y,t) = iZ\delta^3(x-y)]$$
We're using the Otto Nachtman: Elementary Particle Physics but I've seen other books use this notation:
$$[\Phi(x,t), {\Pi}(y,t) = iZ\delta^3(x-y)]$$
In the book they give:
$$[\Phi(x,t)] = \int\frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2\omega}e^{-ikx}(e^{i\omega t}a^{\dagger}(k)+e^{-iwt}a(-k))$$
$$[\dot\Phi(x,t)] = \int\frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{i}{2}e^{-ikx}(e^{i\omega t}a^{\dagger}(k)-e^{-iwt}a(-k))$$

I'm confused as to how one can obtain this form from those definitions, specially because of the annihilation and creation operators, I haven't found a book that explains it, they just give the equation, does anyone have any tips on how to start or have any book or lecture notes that could help? Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a continuum approximation .The roots for this notion comes from the uncertainty principle where you cannot make explicit shape peaked statements about the position and momentum at the same time.So here you want to reconstruct a wavefuntion with position dependency to field formalism in such a manner that quantum mechanics and special relativity collaborate.So have to act in the momentum space to get sharp peaked position statements .This is the so called mode expansion,which involved the fouriertransform concepts but uses also the fact that the incoming plane waves anhilates and the outgoing plane waves creates particles.the whole new theory should be canonical,which means that the field operators should fulfill the canonical commutation relations.
Maybe you can check

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_quantization

(In the field operator section) to get a better intuition /felling for this problem.

troglodyte

Last edited:
Likes abivz
I'm not sure, whether I understand the question right. First of all from the Lagrangian for the free uncharged Klein-Gordon field
$$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu} \Phi)(\partial^{\mu} \Phi) - \frac{m}{2} \Phi^2,$$
you get the canonical field momenta as
$$\Pi=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\Phi}}=\dot{\Phi}.$$
Then the equation of motion gives you the mode decomposition you wrote above. The time derivative of the field is easy: you just differentiate the exponential functions in the mode decomposition.

Then you can derive the equal-time commutation relation between the field operator and the canonical-field-momentum operator using the commutation relations for the annihilation and creation operators.

Usually the argument is in the other direction, because the equal-time commutation relations between field and canonical-momentum operator are usually conjectured in what's known as "canonical quantization".

Likes troglodyte

1. What is the Dirac function and why is it important in field operator commutation?

The Dirac function, also known as the delta function, is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of a point mass at a specific location. In field operator commutation, it is important because it helps to define the commutation relations between field operators, which are essential in quantum field theory and the study of elementary particles.

2. How is the Dirac function obtained from field operator commutation?

The Dirac function is obtained by taking the Fourier transform of the commutation relations between field operators. This involves integrating over all possible momentum values and taking the limit as the momentum goes to infinity, resulting in a delta function at zero momentum.

3. What are the applications of the Dirac function in physics?

The Dirac function has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. It is used to describe point particles, such as electrons, and is also used in the calculation of transition probabilities and scattering amplitudes.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac function in field operator commutation?

One limitation of using the Dirac function in field operator commutation is that it assumes the particles are point-like and have no internal structure. This may not accurately describe all particles, particularly in high-energy situations.

5. Can the Dirac function be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Dirac function can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it is known as the Dirac delta function, and in higher dimensions, it is known as the Dirac delta distribution. However, the properties and applications of the Dirac function in higher dimensions may differ from those in one dimension.