Register to reply

Excited states in the QHO

by copernicus1
Tags: states
Share this thread:
copernicus1
Nov16-12, 10:23 AM
P: 85
Maybe the answer to this should be obvious, but if the quantum harmonic oscillator has a natural angular frequency \omega_0, why do the excited states vibrate with higher and higher angular frequencies? How do we obtain these frequencies?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
Einj
Nov16-12, 10:36 AM
P: 328
Maybe I didn't understand your question but this is quite the definition of "higher state". In order to increase an harmonic oscillator energy its frequency must grow.
copernicus1
Nov16-12, 10:47 AM
P: 85
Thanks, I think I understand it now. Normally the time-dependent part would look like $$e^{-i\omega t},$$ but I suppose in this case it essentially looks like $$e^{-i(n+1/2)\omega t}.$$ So as the n value increases the frequency will increase. Does this look correct?

Thanks.

Einj
Nov16-12, 10:58 AM
P: 328
Excited states in the QHO

That's correct. The time-dependent part, in fact, generally is [itex]exp(-iHt)[/itex] so, in your case [itex]H=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega[/itex] and you get exactly what you wrote.

Register to reply