How do we know that the raising operator only raises the state by one step?

In summary, the raising operator of a quantum harmonic oscillator only raises the state by one level. To confirm that this is the correct operator, you must solve the eigenvalue problem of the number operator. Once you have solved this, you can normalize the eigenvectors and determine that the eigenvalues are all in the range of ##\frac{\hbar\omega}{2}##.
Mayan Fung
In the simple harmonic oscillator, I was told to use the raising and lowering operator to generate the excited states from the ground state. However, I am just thinking that how do we confirm that the raising operator doesn't miss some states in between.

For example, I can define a raising operator ##b^\dagger = (a^\dagger)^2##, so that I can have
\begin{align*}
H|n\rangle &= E_n |n\rangle \\
H(b^\dagger|n\rangle) &= (E_n + 2\hbar \omega)(b^\dagger |n \rangle)
\end{align*}
If I use this ##b^\dagger## as the raising operator, I will miss one state for each raising operation. I have read some online resources and some books. None of them address this issue. I wonder how do we confirm that ##a^\dagger## is the raising operator which gives every eigenstates?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's defined that way.

Now, a fair question is how one determines that an explicit expression is in fact the raising operator.

Likes Mayan Fung
Yes, I agree. I should change my question to:
In a quantum harmonic oscillator, why is the operator
$$a^\dagger = N(\hat{x} - \frac{i}{m\omega}\hat{p})$$
, where N is some normalization constant, the raising operator of a harmonic oscillator which only raises the state by one level?

The proof is in Schiff, but it's not very enlightening: it's "plug it in and that's what you get".

Well you usually make your life as easy as possible and define the creation and annihilation operators such that
$$[\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=1.$$
The Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator is
$$\hat{H}=\hbar \omega (\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}+1/2).$$
So the eigenvalue problem is solved if you solve the eigenvalue problem of the number operator
$$\hat{N}=\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}.$$
Next we need the commutator
$$[\hat{N},\hat{a}]=[\hat{a}^{\dagger},\hat{a}]\hat{a}=-\hat{a}.$$
Adjoining this equation leads to
$$[\hat{N},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=+\hat{a}^{\dagger}.$$
Now suppose ##|u \rangle## is an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## to eigenvalue ##n## then
$$\hat{N} \hat{a} |u \rangle=([\hat{N},\hat{a}]+\hat{a} \hat{N})|u \rangle=(n-1) |u \rangle.$$
Thus ##\hat{a}|u \rangle## is either an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue ##(n-1)## or the null vector.

Now there must be an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}##, ##u_0 \rangle## such that
$$\hat{a} |u_0 \rangle=0,$$
because otherwise you can get eigenvectors of ##\hat{N}## with arbitrarily small (negative) eigenvalue, which is impossible, because obviously ##\hat{N}## is positive semidefinite, because for all ##|\psi \rangle##
$$\langle \psi|\hat{N} \psi \rangle=\langle \hat{a}^{\dagger} \psi|\hat{a}^{\dagger} \psi \rangle \geq 0.$$
In the same way you get
$$\hat{N} \hat{a}^{\dagger} |u \rangle=(n+1) \hat{a}^{\dagger} |u \rangle,$$
which implies that you get all eigenvectors starting from ##|u_0 \rangle## through successive application of ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}## to ##|u_0 \rangle##. This can be written as the recursion relation
$$\hat{a}^{\dagger} |u_n \rangle=C_n |u_{n+1} \rangle.$$
Now we want to normalize the eigenvectors. Suppose all the ##|u_n \rangle## are normalized then we get
$$|C_n|^2=\langle \hat{a}^{\dagger}u_n|\hat{a}^{\dagger} u_n \rangle = \langle u_n |\hat{a} \hat{a}^{\dagger} u_n \rangle = \langle u_n |([\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]+ \hat{N}) u_n \rangle=(n+1).$$
From this we get (up to an arbitrary phase factor) ##C_n=\sqrt{n+1}##. So we get the recursion relation
$$|u_{\n+1} \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}} \hat{a}^{\dagger} |u_n \rangle$$
which is solved by
$$|u_n \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} (\hat{a}^{\dagger})^n |u_0 \rangle.$$
The eigenvalues are ##n \in \mathbb{N}_0##.

• Informative
Likes Demystifier, Mayan Fung, etotheipi and 1 other person
Another way to check this is to solve the harmonic oscillator Schrodinger eqn and show that the solution isn't normalizable between the eigenvalues obtained with raising and lowering operators.

Chan Pok Fung said:
In the simple harmonic oscillator, I was told to use the raising and lowering operator to generate the excited states from the ground state. However, I am just thinking that how do we confirm that the raising operator doesn't miss some states in between.

For example, I can define a raising operator ##b^\dagger = (a^\dagger)^2##, so that I can have
\begin{align*}
H|n\rangle &= E_n |n\rangle \\
H(b^\dagger|n\rangle) &= (E_n + 2\hbar \omega)(b^\dagger |n \rangle)
\end{align*}
If I use this ##b^\dagger## as the raising operator, I will miss one state for each raising operation. I have read some online resources and some books. None of them address this issue. I wonder how do we confirm that ##a^\dagger## is the raising operator which gives every eigenstates?
The uniqueness of eigenvalues comes from the factorisation of the Hamiltonian: $$ \hat{H} = \hbar\omega\left(\hat{a}^{\dagger}\hat{a} + \frac{1}{2}\right)$$
Any ground state must have eigenvalue ##\frac{\hbar\omega}{2}##. If there were any intermediate eigenvalues, you could repeatedly apply the lowering operator and reach a contradiction.

There cannot, therefore, be intermediate eigenvalues. The above factorisation is also what identifies ##a^{\dagger}## as more fundamental than your ##b^{\dagger}##.

Likes marcusl, Mayan Fung, vanhees71 and 2 others
hilbert2 said:
Another way to check this is to solve the harmonic oscillator Schrodinger eqn and show that the solution isn't normalizable between the eigenvalues obtained with raising and lowering operators.

what solutions are those?

andresB said:
what solutions are those?

If you set the eigenvalue ##E## in equation

##\displaystyle -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2 \psi}{dx^2} + \frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 x^2 \psi (x) = E\psi (x)##

to a value that is not one of the eigenvalues

##\displaystyle E_n = \hbar\omega \left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right)##,

the solution ##\psi (x)## becomes something that approaches infinity when ##x\rightarrow\pm\infty##, and therefore can't be a physically acceptable solution.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does the raising operator work?

The raising operator is a mathematical operator that is used in quantum mechanics to increase the energy level of a quantum state by one step. It does this by multiplying the state by a constant factor and adding a new term to the state's wave function.

2. Why does the raising operator only raise the state by one step?

The raising operator is designed to only increase the energy level of a quantum state by one step because this is the fundamental behavior of quantum systems. In quantum mechanics, energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on discrete values. Therefore, the raising operator can only increase the energy level by one step at a time.

3. How do we know that the raising operator is a valid mathematical operation?

The raising operator is a well-established mathematical operation in quantum mechanics that has been extensively studied and tested. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and is supported by experimental evidence. Additionally, the raising operator follows the rules of linear algebra, making it a valid mathematical operation.

4. Can the raising operator be used on any quantum state?

No, the raising operator can only be used on quantum states that have a well-defined energy level. This means that the state must be in an energy eigenstate, where the energy is known with certainty. If the state is not in an energy eigenstate, applying the raising operator will not produce a meaningful result.

5. What happens if the raising operator is applied multiple times to a quantum state?

If the raising operator is applied multiple times to a quantum state, the energy level of the state will increase by the number of times the operator is applied. For example, if the operator is applied twice, the energy level will increase by two steps. However, it is important to note that the state must still be in an energy eigenstate for the operator to produce a meaningful result.