Register to reply

Best portable device for math PDF files?

by Stephen Tashi
Tags: device, files, math, portable
Share this thread:
Crake2
Oct7-12, 01:09 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by Ballistic View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion and impressions!

I'm really looking forward buying a tablet/ereader since my university gives me the opportunity to download interesting textbooks/articles through their library service, so, even tough I'm a paper junkie like you, it could be a good choice for me, moneywise and spacewise.

Now I've 2 questions for you:

1) Does the Nexus 7 open/handle with ease even large PDFs? (Like PDFs >20mb)

2) Would you read a huge book like "War and Peace" on your Nexus 7 or you'll go with your eInk ereader? (Ok, the obvious answer would be the paper version, but just imagine that you couldn't get it)
I'd like the answer to 1) but my definition of large is > 160mb. (Yes, I do have pdf's larger than 160mb)
Sankaku
Oct7-12, 11:42 PM
P: 717
Thanks for sharing your opinion and impressions!

I'm really looking forward buying a tablet/ereader since my university gives me the opportunity to download interesting textbooks/articles through their library service, so, even tough I'm a paper junkie like you, it could be a good choice for me, moneywise and spacewise.

Now I've 2 questions for you:

1) Does the Nexus 7 open/handle with ease even large PDFs? (Like PDFs >20mb)

2) Would you read a huge book like "War and Peace" on your Nexus 7 or you'll go with your eInk ereader? (Ok, the obvious answer would be the paper version, but just imagine that you couldn't get it)
Yes, the Nexus 7 handles large PDF files easily. I currently have a 21 MB (scanned) file I use regularly. I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good for even larger files, having a quad-core processor. The only limitation is the lack of an SD card slot, so you will want to manage your book library a bit if they are all huge files.

For straight reading of novels, I would recommend an eInk reader (Edit: As long you can find your book in EPUB or MOBI format). They are the best if you start at page one and go one page at a time through the whole book. Then the speed of searching and page turning is a non-issue. My wife and I have read a number of regular books on our Kobo and find it very good. I am sure comparable ones like the Nook or Kindle would be just as good. I am not sure how they are for PDF handling, though.

There is a quick review of the Kobo Touch eInk reader for math PDFs here:
http://curvingspace.blogspot.ca/2011...tics-pdfs.html

The main drawback, as stated in that article, is jumping around in textbooks. I am always referring back and forth between sections and the current eInk readers become very frustrating for that.
Ray Vickson
Oct13-12, 12:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,083
I downloaded the free App "PDF reader lite" on my i-phone 4 and it works fine.

RGV
jerrybrown349
Nov2-12, 06:33 PM
P: 1
Hi, I've been using the ipad and have had great success with my various math pdf's through ibooks!
Ballistic
Nov17-12, 02:39 AM
P: 16
After reading some articles around the web and some user experiences from Android message boards, I am seriously considering the case of buying the Nexus 7 as my only portable device (apart from my bulky laptop) both for PDFs and for ePubs.

I've read many comments of people who are using the Nexus 7 as an e-reader, even for large books, with no relevant eyestrain. Plus I won't be reading outside at direct sunlight, but mainly at home, university or in the underground, so, as long as I disable all the notifications (social networks and emails), I think it could be the perfect device both for reading large ebooks (like some '800 or '900 classics available from Project Gutemberg from free) and to go through chapters on my math/science PDFs and articles.

And also the nice Kobo Glo (with backlight when needed) costs only $70 less than the much more powerful Nexus 7.

What's your take on this?
n10Newton
Nov18-12, 12:23 PM
P: 108
Is ebooks(Kindle editions) from amazon.com support on Google Nexus 7.
DrewD
Nov18-12, 01:10 PM
P: 446
I'm assuming that you are asking if there is a kindle app for Android. The answer i yes:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....amazon.kindle

And also the nice Kobo Glo (with backlight when needed) costs only $70 less than the much more powerful Nexus 7.

What's your take on this?
I don't know much about the Kobo Glo, but my guess is that it renders pictures the same way that the black and white Kindles do. That doesn't mean that it can't be used for science books, but it is slower and sometimes awkward.
Ballistic
Nov19-12, 02:16 AM
P: 16
With Kindle for Android can I open just the books bought on Amazon or also from other online stores?
tolove
Jul1-13, 09:28 AM
P: 162
Throwing out some info, since I randomly found my way into this somewhat old thread.

From my own experiments, tablets are by far better than the eink readers for any .pdf with images. The eink readers just don't work well for it. However, they are fantastic for simple text.

Tablets? Well they're just like any other computer, just boxed differently. They're slower than a laptop, but plenty good enough for a .pdf or web browsing. I think the consensus is that the Google Nexus has the best price/performance value. Nexus 7 is probably as small as you want to go. The Nexus 10 might be bigger than necessary. That's up to you.

Also, if you plan on buying a Nexus 7 soon, wait another month. They're about to release a new version of it.
Motimori
Aug6-14, 02:09 PM
P: 1
Hi,
I bought a pocketbook brand ereader which I found good ereader for ebooks and university , college textbooks specially for Mathematics, physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology and engineering which comes with a lot of formulas and graphs. It is also useful for scientific journal papers which has two columns format. It can read pdf, djvu, doc, ...... .
The producer website is as below and you can find closest store to your country by going to sellers addresses in company website. French boutique and Germany store have the products prices and ship worldwide.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us

http://boutique.pocketbook.fr/index....oller=category

Register to reply