Hardware & Software question: Device for doing math by stylus

In summary, a Handheld PC might be the best option for someone looking for a device that satisfies all of the conditions you listed.
DeusAbscondus
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a device with a screen smaller than a laptop, bigger than a phone, which can do the following very well!
1. allow me to enter math by stylus and have it convert to latex for export via various file extensions;
2. link with my linux OS on my main computer (so, perhaps android device would be best here;
3. include great math apps like Desmos and Geogebra for graphing and doing Calculus;
4. connect to internet;
5. have other apps for note-taking, with inbuilt touch-screen keyboard

Does such a creature exist?
Remember: must be linux-friendly as I am allergic to Windows

Thanks mightily in anticipation of any help,
D'Abs

Physics news on Phys.org
DeusAbscondus said:
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a device with a screen smaller than a laptop, bigger than a phone, which can do the following very well!
1. allow me to enter math by stylus and have it convert to latex for export via various file extensions;
2. link with my linux OS on my main computer (so, perhaps android device would be best here;
3. include great math apps like Desmos and Geogebra for graphing and doing Calculus;
4. connect to internet;
5. have other apps for note-taking, with inbuilt touch-screen keyboard

Does such a creature exist?
Remember: must be linux-friendly as I am allergic to Windows

Thanks mightily in anticipation of any help,
D'Abs

Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

I am not sure you'll find a device which will satisfy all these conditions. However a Handheld PC might be the one that you are looking for. For the first condition you have imposed, using a stylus with the following website might help.

Demonstration Portal (Click on Web Equation)

Sudharaka said:
Hi DeusAbscondus, :)

I am not sure you'll find a device which will satisfy all these conditions. However a Handheld PC might be the one that you are looking for. For the first condition you have imposed, using a stylus with the following website might help.

Demonstration Portal (Click on Web Equation)

Thanks Sudharaka; great site. I might have to wait for a dedicated stylus to Latex hand-held device but meanwhile, for taking notes and good reading of script, Dem Portal is great.

Cheers.

1. What is a device for doing math by stylus?

A device for doing math by stylus is a type of hardware and software combination that allows users to solve mathematical equations by writing on a screen with a stylus instead of using a keyboard or mouse.

2. How does a device for doing math by stylus work?

A device for doing math by stylus typically consists of a touch-sensitive screen, a stylus, and specialized software. The user can write mathematical equations on the screen using the stylus, and the software will recognize and solve the equations in real-time.

3. What are the benefits of using a device for doing math by stylus?

One of the main benefits of using a device for doing math by stylus is the ability to solve equations quickly and accurately without the need for a keyboard or mouse. This can be particularly useful for complex equations or for individuals who have difficulty using traditional input methods.

4. Can a device for doing math by stylus be used for more than just basic math?

Yes, a device for doing math by stylus can be used for a wide range of mathematical functions, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and more. Some devices may also have additional features, such as graphing capabilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using a device for doing math by stylus?

While a device for doing math by stylus can be a useful tool, it may not be suitable for everyone. Some individuals may find it more difficult to use than traditional input methods, and the accuracy of the software may vary depending on the complexity of the equations. Additionally, these devices may be more expensive than traditional calculators or other math tools.