postdoc advertising sites

by LAHLH
Tags: advertising, postdoc, sites
LAHLH
Nov17-12, 09:37 AM
P: 411
Where to people usually look for postdoc adverts?

I am aware of hyperspace and academicjobsonline but are these the only places to check? (I am interested in theoretical ads, specifically gravity etc)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
LAHLH
Nov19-12, 11:02 AM
there is also spires-jobs. Does no one else have anything?
ZapperZ
Nov19-12, 11:22 AM
Mentor
P: 28,836
You neglected to mention where you are, or where you are looking for such position.

In the US, by this time, you should be a member of the APS, and should have known about (i) the APS/AIP career website and (ii) have attended conferences such as the APS March/April meetings where a lot of potential employers post their jobs and even conduct job interviews there. These are the most common ways people look for postdocs.

However, you should have also made use of your professors/supervisor, who should have an inkling on who's looking for postdocs, or at the very least, give you some leads or contacts.

Zz.

LAHLH
Nov19-12, 12:18 PM

postdoc advertising sites

I'm in the UK. Thanks for the APS career website, I will look there too, but previously this hadn't been mentioned to me. I have of course talked about this with supervisor and my primary applications are to places he has recommended, however at this stage I am trying to broaden my search also for which such job listings sites are pretty useful.
ZapperZ
Nov19-12, 01:57 PM
Mentor
P: 28,836
Quote Quote by LAHLH View Post
I'm in the UK. Thanks for the APS career website, I will look there too, but previously this hadn't been mentioned to me. I have of course talked about this with supervisor and my primary applications are to places he has recommended, however at this stage I am trying to broaden my search also for which such job listings sites are pretty useful.
Then you should look at the IoP job website, which I'm guessing there is one, and which I would think you are a member of already by now.

Zz.
LAHLH
Nov19-12, 06:08 PM
yep, already done that (I think it's now known as brightrecruits.com), not much in my field unfortunately-seems to be mostly condensed matter or more experimental stuff, as I say I believe hyperspace, academicjobsonline, spires-jobs to be the best places for theory postdocs I have found. Just wanted to check if any other similar sites likes these existed.

Register to reply