Postdoc Position: Finding a Job in Data Science

In summary, the individual is seeking a postdoc position in the field of data science, but has been unable to secure one due to lacking the necessary skills and experience. They are considering doing another year as a postdoc in wireless communication to financially support themselves while developing the necessary skills. They have already emailed many universities in Canada with no positive response and are unsure about whether to email them again. They are seeking suggestions on narrowing their options for postdoc positions in the US, as they have less interest in Europe due to the language barrier.
EngWiPy
Hello all,

I was looking for a position in data science for a while, but I need time to develop the skills and experience since I have non. So, I was thinking to do another year as postdoc in a university in Canada or US or Europe in wireless communication to survive financially while developing the skills. I emailed almost all universities in Canada with no positive response. I am hesitant to email them again, since I emailed them almost one month ago. USA has many more universities than in Canada, and I am a little confused about where to apply. Do you have any suggestion to narrow my options? I have less interest in Europe because of the language barrier, but I am still open to the idea of doing it there.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You tell us nothing about your background. I assume you have a PhD, but in what field? What was your thesis topic? Normally a Postdoc position is related to your thesis topic. Nobody will hire you for a Postdoc position if you don't have expertise in the field they are hiring for. It is not a training position.

For opportunities in wireless communications, you should check out the NYU program run by Prof. Rappaport

http://faculty.poly.edu/~tsr/

Likes EngWiPy
phyzguy said:
You tell us nothing about your background. I assume you have a PhD, but in what field? What was your thesis topic? Normally a Postdoc position is related to your thesis topic. Nobody will hire you for a Postdoc position if you don't have expertise in the field they are hiring for. It is not a training position.

The OP has a PhD from a Canadian university in electrical engineering, specializing in wireless communication. See the following thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-positions-can-i-apply-for.894193/

Likes EngWiPy
phyzguy said:

I have a background in wireless communication/physical layer. I did my PhD thesis in a topic, and my first 2-year postdoc position in another topic. All use the same underlying concepts.

S_David said:
Hello all,

I was looking for a position in data science for a while, but I need time to develop the skills and experience since I have non. So, I was thinking to do another year as postdoc in a university in Canada or US or Europe in wireless communication to survive financially while developing the skills. I emailed almost all universities in Canada with no positive response. I am hesitant to email them again, since I emailed them almost one month ago. USA has many more universities than in Canada, and I am a little confused about where to apply. Do you have any suggestion to narrow my options? I have less interest in Europe because of the language barrier, but I am still open to the idea of doing it there.

Thanks

Wait, let me try to understand this.

You didn't find any advertisements or openings for a PostDoc position. But instead, you simply sent e-mail to "...almost all universities in Canada..." looking for a postdoc position?

If this is what you actually did, you should stop. Postdoc positions are not created out of nowhere. They are typically created out of a research grant for a specific length of time. And when one is created, it often has to be advertised and candidates selected based on whatever criteria is needed for that funding project.

Sending out email for such a position without there being an opening for it is not only pointless, it could be annoying. I've been the recipient of such unsolicited requests and I don't recall giving such things even more than 2 seconds of reading before deleting them. In fact, the lab specifically instructed us not to respond to such unsolicited email, and I do not doubt if other institutions may have similar instruction to their staff.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wait, let me try to understand this.

You didn't find any advertisements or openings for a PostDoc position. But instead, you simply sent e-mail to "...almost all universities in Canada..." looking for a postdoc position?

If this is what you actually did, you should stop. Postdoc positions are not created out of nowhere. They are typically created out of a research grant for a specific length of time. And when one is created, it often has to be advertised and candidates selected based on whatever criteria is needed for that funding project.

Sending out email for such a position without there being an opening for it is not only pointless, it could be annoying. I've been the recipient of such unsolicited requests and I don't recall giving such things even more than 2 seconds of reading before deleting them. In fact, the lab specifically instructed us not to respond to such unsolicited email, and I do not doubt if other institutions may have similar instruction to their staff.

Zz.

I got my PhD full scholarship and my first postdoc position by sending emails to professors directly without them advertising for it. I understand what you are saying, but not all groups and professors advertise openings. I don't send emails only if the group or professor specifically says that there is no opening for postdocs.

S_David said:
I got my PhD full scholarship and my first postdoc position by sending emails to professors directly without them advertising for it. I understand what you are saying, but not all groups and professors advertise openings. I don't send emails only if the group or professor specifically says that there is no opening for postdocs.

1. Then why is this strategy, if it was that effective before, not working now?

2. Do you think this is the rule rather than the exception?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Sending out email for such a position without there being an opening for it is not only pointless, it could be annoying.

I disagree. My wife and I and many of our colleagues are always on the lookout for recent or upcoming graduates. If the sender is a US Citizen or can quickly be determined to have permission to work in the US, we'll have a thorough look at the CV to see if the skills and talent are a likely match for available work. There's some swag in many of our budgets to make room for truly outstanding candidates, and depending on the graduate's time line, there may be time to find money for an outstanding candidate. "No opening now" is a standard response for unqualified candidates.

Dr. Courtney said:
I disagree. My wife and I and many of our colleagues are always on the lookout for recent or upcoming graduates. If the sender is a US Citizen or can quickly be determined to have permission to work in the US, we'll have a thorough look at the CV to see if the skills and talent are a likely match for available work. There's some swag in many of our budgets to make room for truly outstanding candidates, and depending on the graduate's time line, there may be time to find money for an outstanding candidate. "No opening now" is a standard response for unqualified candidates.
Seconded. This is how I got both of my postdoc positions (plus multiple interviews). Plus, simply from an economics point of view, it's 2 seconds of annoyance on the receiving end vs. a potential job/salary/benefits on the sending end. It's very low-risk, high-potential-reward.

1. What qualifications do I need to have to apply for a postdoc position in data science?

In order to apply for a postdoc position in data science, you will typically need to have a PhD in a related field such as computer science, statistics, or mathematics. You should also have experience and expertise in data analysis, programming, and machine learning.

2. How can I find postdoc positions in data science?

There are several ways to find postdoc positions in data science. You can search job websites like Indeed or LinkedIn, check university and research institute websites, and network with other data scientists in your field. You can also reach out to professors or researchers directly to inquire about potential openings.

3. What should I include in my postdoc application for a data science position?

Your postdoc application for a data science position should include a cover letter, a CV or resume, and letters of recommendation. Your cover letter should highlight your relevant experience and why you are interested in the specific position. Your CV should showcase your qualifications, publications, and research experience. Letters of recommendation should be from professors or colleagues who can speak to your skills and potential as a researcher in data science.

4. How important is having a publication record in securing a postdoc position in data science?

Having a publication record is not always a requirement for securing a postdoc position in data science, but it can certainly strengthen your application. Publications demonstrate your ability to conduct research and contribute to the field, which is highly valued in academia. If you do not have publications, you can highlight any other relevant research experience or projects you have completed.

5. What is the typical duration of a postdoc position in data science?

The duration of a postdoc position in data science can vary, but it is typically between 1-3 years. This can also depend on the specific project or funding of the position. Some postdoc positions may also have the option to be extended or converted into a permanent position, depending on the performance and availability of funding.