Register to reply

Differentiability of a Series of Functions

by luke8ball
Tags: differentiability, functions, series
Share this thread:
luke8ball
Nov18-12, 11:51 AM
P: 22
I'm working on a problem where I need to show that the series of functions, f(x) = Ʃ (xn)/n2, where n≥1, converges to some f(x), and that f(x) is continuous, differentiable, and integrable on [-1,1].

I know how to show that f(x) is continuous, since each fn(x) is continuous, and I fn(x) converges uniformly. Because each fn(x) is also integrable, I can also show f(x) is integrable.

The trouble I'm having is proving that f(x) is differentiable. I need to show that the series of derivatives converges uniformly. However, I don't think I can use the Weierstrass M-Test in this scenario. Any ideas?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Erland
Nov20-12, 07:56 AM
P: 345
Quote Quote by luke8ball View Post
I'm working on a problem where I need to show that the series of functions, f(x) = Ʃ (xn)/n2, where n≥1, converges to some f(x), and that f(x) is continuous, differentiable, and integrable on [-1,1].

I know how to show that f(x) is continuous, since each fn(x) is continuous, and I fn(x) converges uniformly. Because each fn(x) is also integrable, I can also show f(x) is integrable.

The trouble I'm having is proving that f(x) is differentiable. I need to show that the series of derivatives converges uniformly. However, I don't think I can use the Weierstrass M-Test in this scenario. Any ideas?
The differentiated series converges on the open interval (-1,1). Hence the original series is differentiable there and the derivative is the differentiated series. The differentated series diverges at 1 and converges conditionally at -1. Although I cannot prove it, this makes me suspect that the original series is not differentiable at 1 and -1.

Register to reply